• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog attacked 4 year old girl

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I was working in my yard when a small child (with her parents behind) came running down my drive. My 5 yr old pug pushed the gate open and attacked the child causing possible nerve damage to her hand. The girl's parents said they would not sue me if I have the dog put to death. I, of course, am paying all medical bills, but I find their request gut-wrenching. My dog has bitten 4 other people that have "trespassed" on her turf. We live in Washington state. Please help. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I was working in my yard when a small child (with her parents behind) came running down my drive. My 5 yr old pug pushed the gate open and attacked the child causing possible nerve damage to her hand. The girl's parents said they would not sue me if I have the dog put to death. I, of course, am paying all medical bills, but I find their request gut-wrenching. My dog has bitten 4 other people that have "trespassed" on her turf. We live in Washington state. Please help. Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I would turn the matter over to my homeowner's insurance. A dog, like anything else you own, is mere "property." Like your t.v. set, no one has the right to tell you to "destroy" your property, or to hold you and your dog hostage with such a threat.
However, on the other side of the coin, your dog, unlike your television set, is undoubtedly regulated by some sort of agency; much like we have here in Los Angeles (Department of Animal Regulation). In that instance, such an agency is imbued with the ability, via some sort of legal fiat such as a Municipal Code, that allows them to impound your dog. And, if the situation and history of your dog warrants it, may destroy your dog in the interest of Public Safety. Since you had an ongoing duty to contain, restrain, and control your dog, and failed to do that within the law, you, yourself may have, after 4 bites, sealed the fate of your dog.

Good luck to you, and I hope the child is doing alright.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

W

wow

I'm no lawyer, but as the son of a UPS man I would say that if your dog has bitten FIVE people with as little provocation as it appears in this scenario the dog should be put down regardless of your being sued! If you do get sued on this one you can't possibly win with a dog that has a history of attacking people. And I wouldn't bring up the "turf" argument.

T

thekid

I live in WI and have had 3 bites against others entering my "fenced property". If the age is 6 or under "without" parents being
present yes you would be at fault since the state claims here that they do not have any brains to know better at that age but if parents are with then they are in control.
Since you do not have a fence around your entire property line you would be at fault if the dog got out of your fenced in area and bit someone on your property.
I would run another fence around the property line and keep your fenced in area as well.That would protect you, you also need to find out how long they have in your state to file a claim against you. Here in WI we have a 72 hour and 3 strike your out law and the dog has to be put down. It is very hard to do when the dog is only doing it's job !!
The loop hole I uesed was to have my vet delete the dog records as being put down and then renamed my dog and started fresh, no pictures no proof !!! Do not use the turf thing because you do not have your entire property line fenced off. After that many bites you should really think about doing what I have.I hope this information help's, I can't see any dog going down for only doing his job !!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">