• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog bite: I have to pay$$ soon, SOMEONE, Pls. Advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Solomons

dog bite: I have to pay$$ soon, Someone, please advise. :(

What is the name of your state? Maryland (I live in the city)

While I was walking my large dog in the morning, I saw another dog coming down the side walk. I had never met this dog or owner, and although my dog is friendly, I kept my dog on a tight leash and moved into the street (where cars would have been parallel parked if there). The owner had her dog on a leash but let her dog run up to mine as I held mine tight. The two dogs just didnt click and out of nowhere my dog bit her dog on it's side. Eventually we freed them. She took her dog to the vet and and gave us the bill ($800).
I think it is reasonable that we pay half of the cost. since I cleared the sidewalk for them and held my dog tight while she let her dog run up to mine, I think it would be reasonable if she paid the other half. She wants full payment. My dog has never done this before.

I'm not aware of any witnesses. Do I have to pay? She claims she reported it to the police and will take us to court to get the money. Please advise.

M

macro9999

Oh come on

one its YOUR DAWG......you wanted a DAWG

DAWGS have to be taken out for a dump, DAWGS will run into other DAWGS and may attck each other or sniff each others azzz

YOU chose NOT to get an apartment on the ground floor with a backyard which would have avoided this.

YOU owe da money.......consider it a cost of owning a DAWG!

stephenk

Let her take you to court. Based on your facts you may be able to get out of paying anything. Both owners must have control of their animals. The fact you attempted to avoid the other dog and she didnt do anything to avoid her dog going up to yours is a major point to bring up. Plus your dog has never bitten any other dogs or people, right?

ShyCat

For future, a little canine advice...

Tightening up on the leash at the approach of another dog or person is a bad move. It triggers canine aggression. What message are you telling your dog? "Watch out, beware, this may be dangerous!" It's a common mistake.

Instead, move to the street as you did, if you wish, but do not tighten the leash. Speak calmly and soothingly to your dog. Your dog will be curious and interested in the other, but without tension-inducing input from you, much less likely to react in an aggressive manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">