• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bite in Kentucky

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sartorfo

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My dog bite another dog during an altercation at my apartment complex. My dog was provoked initially which started the altercation. The owner of the dog that was bitten had two dogs that were involved the altercation versus my one dog. Long story short, my dog ended up bitting one of the other dogs. The owner took the dog to the vet and quoted me an estimated vet cost of $200. She then sent me the actual vet bill will exceeded over $500. She told me that the sudden balloon in vet costs were due to the fact that she decided to get an X-ray for the animal. She also agreed to five medications being administered to the dog at that time which included two antibiotics and three pain medications (two narcotics and one nerve block medication).

Less than 24 hours after the first office visit, the owner contacted me stating that her animal was not eating or drinking. She took the animal back to the vet and subsequently quoted me an additional $206.

I talked to my vet who informed me that due to the size of the animal (its a small dog) the amount of medication, including the narcotic medication, was excessive. He also told me that the amount of the medication given to the animal could explain why the animal was not eating. He informed me that the costs for this office visit was becoming excessive and encouraged to me to seek legal guidance in the matter.

quincy

You have the right to request copies of the veterinarian costs and get opinions from other veterinarians as to whether they think the costs excessive. You also have the right to negotiate with the dog owner to bring the cost to you down.

The dog owner has the right, however, to sue you for actual costs expended.

quincy

Yes. If the dog owner wants you to pay veterinarian costs, and if you refuse to pay, the dog owner can sue you to seek compensation. A lawsuit is a civil action.

It will be on the dog owner/plaintiff in the civil action to prove damages.

quincy

That is a decision you will have to make on your own, however you might want to personally review all facts with an attorney in your area prior to making your decision.

Paying what is demanded can certainly be the fastest way to resolve the matter if you have no defense available or if you have no desire to go to court.

If you DO decide to settle the dispute by paying what is demanded, be sure to get IN WRITING and signed by the dog owner that your payment to the dog owner settles IN FULL any and all claims that have arisen or could in the future arise from the incident between the dogs.

Good luck.

sartorfo

I kinda want this to go away as situations such as this causes me major stress and anxiety and leads additional health issues for me.

sartorfo

That is a decision you will have to make on your own, however you might want to personally review all facts with an attorney in your area prior to making your decision.

Paying what is demanded can certainly be the fastest way to resolve the matter if you have no defense available or if you have no desire to go to court.

If you DO decide to settle the dispute by paying what is demanded, be sure to get IN WRITING and signed by the dog owner that your payment to the dog owner settles IN FULL any and all claims that have arisen or could in the future arise from the incident between the dogs.

Good luck.

How do I determine what is needed to be paid now and what is excessive?

adjusterjack

I kinda want this to go away as situations such as this causes me major stress and anxiety and leads additional health issues for me.
Then pay what she asks and get over it.

How do I determine what is needed to be paid now and what is excessive?
Negotiate.

Tell the other dog owner you're not liable for anything because your dog was provoked but that you will pay X (whatever you are comfortable with) without any admission of liability. If the other owner agrees you can find release forms on the internet for her to sign before you hand over any money.

Read this article about Kentucky dog bite law, especially the part about the other owner's comparative negligence.

https://dogbitelaw.com/statutory-strict-liability-state/kentucky-dog-bite-law

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My dog bite another dog during an altercation at my apartment complex. My dog was provoked initially which started the altercation. The owner of the dog that was bitten had two dogs that were involved the altercation versus my one dog. Long story short, my dog ended up bitting one of the other dogs. The owner took the dog to the vet and quoted me an estimated vet cost of $200. She then sent me the actual vet bill will exceeded over $500. She told me that the sudden balloon in vet costs were due to the fact that she decided to get an X-ray for the animal. She also agreed to five medications being administered to the dog at that time which included two antibiotics and three pain medications (two narcotics and one nerve block medication).

Less than 24 hours after the first office visit, the owner contacted me stating that her animal was not eating or drinking. She took the animal back to the vet and subsequently quoted me an additional $206.

I talked to my vet who informed me that due to the size of the animal (its a small dog) the amount of medication, including the narcotic medication, was excessive. He also told me that the amount of the medication given to the animal could explain why the animal was not eating. He informed me that the costs for this office visit was becoming excessive and encouraged to me to seek legal guidance in the matter.
What breed of dog (yours) was involved in this fight? Was you dog on a leash and in your control? What breed was the other dog(s)? Were they leashed in in the owners control? Explain how this dog fight started. Thank You...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">