• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bite on homeowner's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmb8076

:rolleyes: I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but here it goes. We live in Missouri.

My neighbors have a big dog. He is only allowed in his yard, which is large and fenced. He is a good dog, but does guard his home. The dog has NEVER bitten anyone before and is very good natured.

A woman walked up to the fence and leaned over it, and she was bitten in the face by him. The homeowners did not know the woman was coming, or they would have restrained the dog, but as it turned out, she just walked up to the fence looking for a child that was playing in the backyard.

Are the homeowners responsible? She doesn't want any injury money, just the lost week of wages that she took off to heal. She is fine now and there is little evidence left that she was bitten, though she did require stitches on her face.

Thanks. :eek:

JETX

Without know a LOT more about the specifics, the fact that she entered (leaned over the property line/Fence) the property, she assumed SOME liability for her action.

T

tmb8076

Okay, here is a little more info that could help you.

My mother-in-law came over to our house last Sunday. My stepson was across the street playing with the neighbor boy in his back yard (the yard with the dog in it).

My husband and father-in-law were looking at his new car.

My mother-in-law ventured across the street to see what my stepson (her grandson) was doing on the side of the neighbors house (not the side that people usually enter, it is a gate that we usually don't use, but it is there nonetheless).

When she got to the gate, she was going to just walk in, and the dog heard the fence rattling and ran over there. I think he was being protective. At that point, she leaned over, she said to pet him, but he is taller than the fence and was running toward her, jumped up and they butted heads and he did end up biting her, but we ae not sure if he meant to or if he jumped up at her with an open mouth, but anyway, it did cut her face.

They went to the ER (the neighbors went to) and they just bandaged it, and she went back to the surgeon on Tuesday and they stitched her up.

Now my MIL just called me. She said my FIL talked to someone at work, and there is a chance now that my MIL's health insurance will go after my neighbor's homeowner's to pay for the ER visit and the plastic surgeon who stitched her up. This information is based on the fact that a man my FIL works with was bitten by a friend's dog and they ended up having to pay he medical bills.

What a mess, I have to live by these people. I feel badly that my MIL was bitten of course, but she was intruding on their property, and the dog just reacted. I just hate that this is happening. I know my neighbor is going to see an attorney tomorrow, but I am worried about what will happen. My neighbors are good people, and no way would this have happened if she wouldn't have walked into their yard! These people are devastated that this happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">