• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bite through fence!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbaxter5

What is the name of your state? WI

Neighors claimed that 3 weeks ago, our Alaskan Malamute showed her teeth when their children stuck their hands through our fence. They are now saying that their kid did it again and got bit. Our dog has NO history of biting and is not remotely close to being an attack breed. This neighbor also states that prior to their move into the neighborhood 6 months ago, they also owned a Malamute and understood the breed very well. Am I liable if they press charges? What should have been the preventative measures? Do I have any options? HELP!

"I swear I didn't know that .45 was loaded." - Aerosmith. First of all, animals are just that, animals. Their behavior cannot be predicted. Just because your dog has never bitten anyone in the past, doesn't mean it won't in the future. While we're on the subject, the CDC lists Alaskan Malamutes way up at #5 on the list of breeds with the most reported bites over the last ten years.

Here are some of the state statutes regarding dogs and fences. You should also check your local city or county laws as well. That should help get you pointed in the right direction. Copy and paste these addresses into your browser without the URL on either side.

http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=172314&infobase=stats.nfo&jump=ch. 90

http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=172339&infobase=stats.nfo&jump=ch. 174

J

jbaxter5

Good stuff, thank you. Next question, I plan on making the fence a "private" fence so their kids can't stick their hands through. Do I have to pay for the entire project or do they have to contribute because they are using my section of fence for theirs as well? I put the fence up before their house was built, if that matters. I guess what I'm trying to explain is, I put in all 4 sides of fence and they only put in 3 sides (using mine as the fourth). Who owes what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">