• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bites another Dog in California.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pinkie39

Such a pet peeve of mine!! No pun intended, lol.

I have a dog who dislikes most other dogs, and who gets very upset when other dogs charge up to him.

I've lost count of the number of times various loose dogs in our neighborhood have come after my leashed dog while we are on walks. Some owners quickly run over and grab their dogs. But many will just stand in their yard and call for their dog, while their dog is trying to attack mine, and I'm desperately trying to pull them apart.

I especially love the owners who tell me that oh, their dog is harmless, while they just witnessed their dog aggressively charge mine. Luckily my dog has not (yet) gotten bitten.

I never leave my dog loose outside. Never. Nor do I leave any doors to my house open, so he can escape. It makes me angry that other dog owners don't do the same.

LdiJ

After reading the whole thing a couple of times, unless the guy actually shows proof of vet bills relating to the encounter, I don't believe that the OP should give him any money at all.

Yes, was it irresponsible to allow the dog to get loose. However stuff happens and based on everything said I personally don't believe that a dog was injured.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think we can all agree that the OP is responsible for the damages that his/her dog actually caused.

quincy

After reading the whole thing a couple of times, unless the guy actually shows proof of vet bills relating to the encounter, I don't believe that the OP should give him any money at all.

Yes, was it irresponsible to allow the dog to get loose. However stuff happens and based on everything said I personally don't believe that a dog was injured.
Yes. There should be some proof of injury to the dog. Before paying anything, the veterinarian bill(s) should be seen and the costs of treatment verified by the veterinarian.

The only possible “out” to paying a legitimate vet bill, that I see at any rate, is if the dog walker was actually trespassing at the time of the incident.

Some areas have sidewalks and the sidewalks will stop, leaving a walker to continue on in the street or continue on by walking the edge of a person’s lawn.

The original post is a bit confusing about the sidewalk.

adjusterjack

I've lost count of the number of times various loose dogs in our neighborhood have come after my leashed dog while we are on walks. Some owners quickly run over and grab their dogs. But many will just stand in their yard and call for their dog, while their dog is trying to attack mine, and I'm desperately trying to pull them apart.
Carry pepper spray in a pocket or on your belt where it's easy to get at quickly. Many sprays have a range of up to 10 feet so you can discourage an aggressive dog before he gets close.

Keep your dog on a short leash. Train him/her to heel. I see too many people with long leashes and the dog is way out in front pulling the owner along. That's dangerous.

Zigner

Some areas have sidewalks and the sidewalks will stop, leaving a walker to continue on in the street or continue on by walking the edge of a person’s lawn.
Lack of a paved sidewalk doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't an easement.

quincy

Lack of a paved sidewalk doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't an easement.
True. And I would assume there is an easement if not a sidewalk.

I am still a bit puzzled by the “our property technically” statement made in the original post, though. I don’t know what that means. :)

The trespassing comment I made was mostly me thinking out loud. I believe the vet bill is likely cm101010’s responsibility to pay.

Zigner

True. And I would assume there is an easement if not a sidewalk.

I am still a bit puzzled by the “our property technically” statement made in the original post, though. I don’t know what that means. :)

The trespassing comment I made was mostly me thinking out loud. I believe the vet bill is likely cm101010’s responsibility to pay.
For my house, the city has an easement that, I believe, extends either 5 or 10 feet from the curb. It's possible that it's a certain # of feet from the center of the street too - I'd have to check. It's called the "parkway". Technically, I own the land and I am responsible for upkeep, even if there's a sidewalk there, but I can't prevent the city from doing whatever the heck they want there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">