• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bites another Dog in California.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cm101010

What is the name of your state? California

Background: My wife was cleaning our basement last month and one of our two pups (Miya) ran out a partially closed door, and out the garage because she heard the jingle of two dog collars. The two dogs were on leash as their owner walked them down the sidewalk that splits into our yard. Miya ran out and jumped over the first dog and was jumping around the man. She is an extremely energetic dog and we are still working on her jumping. The two other dogs clearly didn’t like the interaction and the man was swing at Miya. There was a lot of energy in the interaction and all of this occurred in about 5 seconds. Miya is extremely sensitive so once she heard the yelling and he shoved her she ran to the porch and peed on herself, then went inside (You can see the path on the attached image). No growling or barking occurred. We have never had an issue with Miya in the past with respect to aggression or biting. She is a frequent dog park visitor and hangs around a lot of people (we take her to restaurants and our gym).

The man was swearing at my wife and very aggressive (understandable in the moment with such a high energy interaction). I went to go check on one of his dogs who were now on high alert of course. And he says he saw blood on one the other dog he was looking at. They all walked away without him saying anymore. He then comes back to my house 2 hours later shaking yelling about COVID-19 and how we exposed him and should expect a vet bill of $1,000. I tried to calm him down and inquire about the dog because that was first priority, but he was having none of it. Then he says we will be hearing from the Human Society.

Now we are here. He heavily tried to get Miya labeled as vicious which can entail euthanasia. My wife and I both had to provide our witness statements and evidence to the Humane Society Officer. I’m not sure of his statements but after discussion they found inconclusive evidence to do such. He made multiple attempts at convincing the officer to go with his opinion.

Originally, since Miya was the one who brought energy to the situation and she was on our property we were going to just pay the vet bills no questions. We have had our dogs hurt in the past and owners not take responsibility. After his unjustified attempts to have our dog killed and his aggressive behavior I started to think. Neither me or my wife saw Miya do anything aggressive and his two dogs were super wired. He had a mask on and sunglasses and a hat and was facing away from the interaction, so I know he didn’t see anything. He never once stated he thought Miya bite one of his dogs during the interaction (only after the fact). I have no idea if one of his dogs reacted and accidentally got his other dog or if Miya all of a sudden changed how she has acted the past 5 years. Either way he is demanding payment and threatening legal action (truly an unpleasant person). After all he has tried to do to Miya and no evidence she did anything other than jump around I am inclined to fight this now. I am happy to see them walking around (the day after) and his dogs are looking great which is the important thing.

Should I fight this because it was on our property technically (we are in California and leash law is strict) and there in no evidence Miya did it (considering all of his actions again Miya). Should I offer half of his crazy high vet bill (we don’t agree all charges are necessary, we have had bills for one of our dogs being bitten in the past and it was never this)? Or should we just pay this unnerving individual and get it behind us, I’m so torn. Advice so very welcome!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Background: My wife was cleaning our basement last month and one of our two pups (Miya) ran out a partially closed door, and out the garage because she heard the jingle of two dog collars. The two dogs were on leash as their owner walked them down the sidewalk that splits into our yard. Miya ran out and jumped over the first dog and was jumping around the man. She is an extremely energetic dog and we are still working on her jumping. The two other dogs clearly didn’t like the interaction and the man was swing at Miya. There was a lot of energy in the interaction and all of this occurred in about 5 seconds. Miya is extremely sensitive so once she heard the yelling and he shoved her she ran to the porch and peed on herself, then went inside (You can see the path on the attached image). No growling or barking occurred. We have never had an issue with Miya in the past with respect to aggression or biting. She is a frequent dog park visitor and hangs around a lot of people (we take her to restaurants and our gym).

The man was swearing at my wife and very aggressive (understandable in the moment with such a high energy interaction). I went to go check on one of his dogs who were now on high alert of course. And he says he saw blood on one the other dog he was looking at. They all walked away without him saying anymore. He then comes back to my house 2 hours later shaking yelling about COVID-19 and how we exposed him and should expect a vet bill of $1,000. I tried to calm him down and inquire about the dog because that was first priority, but he was having none of it. Then he says we will be hearing from the Human Society.

Now we are here. He heavily tried to get Miya labeled as vicious which can entail euthanasia. My wife and I both had to provide our witness statements and evidence to the Humane Society Officer. I’m not sure of his statements but after discussion they found inconclusive evidence to do such. He made multiple attempts at convincing the officer to go with his opinion.

Originally, since Miya was the one who brought energy to the situation and she was on our property we were going to just pay the vet bills no questions. We have had our dogs hurt in the past and owners not take responsibility. After his unjustified attempts to have our dog killed and his aggressive behavior I started to think. Neither me or my wife saw Miya do anything aggressive and his two dogs were super wired. He had a mask on and sunglasses and a hat and was facing away from the interaction, so I know he didn’t see anything. He never once stated he thought Miya bite one of his dogs during the interaction (only after the fact). I have no idea if one of his dogs reacted and accidentally got his other dog or if Miya all of a sudden changed how she has acted the past 5 years. Either way he is demanding payment and threatening legal action (truly an unpleasant person). After all he has tried to do to Miya and no evidence she did anything other than jump around I am inclined to fight this now. I am happy to see them walking around (the day after) and his dogs are looking great which is the important thing.

Should I fight this because it was on our property technically (we are in California and leash law is strict) and there in no evidence Miya did it (considering all of his actions again Miya). Should I offer half of his crazy high vet bill (we don’t agree all charges are necessary, we have had bills for one of our dogs being bitten in the past and it was never this)? Or should we just pay this unnerving individual and get it behind us, I’m so torn. Advice so very welcome!!!
Your dog was out ofyour control. His dog was bleeding and he came back from the vets with a bill. YOU are responsible. End of story.

Just Blue

What kind of dog is your "pup" Miya?

adjusterjack

one of our two pups (Miya) ran out a partially closed door,
You mean ran out of an open door.

I suggest you just quietly pay the bill when it's handed to you. Get him to sign a release.

Otherwise, he may end up getting your homeowners insurance involved which will not have a happy ending.

zddoodah

He heavily tried to get Miya labeled as vicious which can entail euthanasia.
Tried how? Labeled by whom?

My wife and I both had to provide our witness statements and evidence to the Humane Society Officer.
Not that it really matters, but no, you didn't have to do that. The "Humane Society" is a private entity that has no legal authority to do anything, much less compel private persons to give statements.

Neither me or my wife saw Miya do anything aggressive
Ummm...you might want to re-read the first paragraph of your post. Your story indicates that your dog basically attacked two other dogs and the man who was walking them.

Should I fight this
I'm not really sure what "this" refers to. As mentioned above, the "Humane Society" has no legal authority, so there's nothing to fight unless the local police or animal control authority issues you a citation or you get sued. Has either of those things happened?

Should I offer half of his crazy high vet bill (we don’t agree all charges are necessary, we have had bills for one of our dogs being bitten in the past and it was never this)? Or should we just pay this unnerving individual and get it behind us
These are not questions about which you should be seeking input from anonymous strangers on the internet. I would, however, suggest that you familiarize yourself with the applicable law.

His dog was bleeding and he came back from the vets with a bill.
I don't see any evidence of either of these things in the original post. The only reference to blood is the following: "And he says he saw blood on one the other dog he was looking at." That doesn't mean that his dog actually was bleeding. Nor is there anything that indicates that guy actually took either of his dogs to the vet. The original post says, that the guy came "back to [the OP's] house 2 hours later shaking yelling about COVID-19 and how we exposed him and should expect a vet bill of $1,000." An agitated person saying that a bill should be expected is not the same thing as actually having a bill (and I very much doubt that the guy could have taken his dog to the vet and returned with a bill in only two hours).

Last edited:

quincy

Quietly paying the vet bill and getting the dog owner to sign the release are both good suggestions - but, again, I would verify with the veterinarian all charges. You don’t, for example, want to pay additional expenses, like a 6th month supply of flea and tick medicine.

It is highly unlikely that Miya will be labeled a “vicious” or dangerous dog based on a single incident like the one described. cm101010, you should not be worried that Miya will be euthanized based on this single incident.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "Humane Society" is a private entity that has no legal authority to do anything, much less compel private persons to give statements.
I don't disagree - and I agree that it would be good for the OP to clarify. Having said that, I suspect the OP is referring to the local animal control agency, not the "Humane Society".

EDIT:
I would, however, suggest that you familiarize yourself with the applicable law.
As an aside...the code section you referred to would not apply in this situation. That code section applies when a person is bitten.

quincy

I don't disagree - and I agree that it would be good for the OP to clarify. Having said that, I suspect the OP is referring to the local animal control agency, not the "Humane Society".

EDIT:

As an aside...the code section you referred to would not apply in this situation. That code section applies when a person is bitten.
I actually disagree. The Humane Society in California is granted police enforcement powers.
https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-humane-societies-and-enforcement-powers#id-12

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">