• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog bites other dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cara.M

Georgia

I was walking my 2 big dogs, leashed (6' or less leash length) on a sidewalk in a nearby community. We were passing a house with a woman raking out front and, I didn't see it until too late, she had her tiny dog leash-tied to a column on her front porch, probably less than 4' off the sidewalk. Her tiny dog approached my dogs and, because my dogs were surprised and (likely) thought the dog was a rodent, my dog attacked/pinned her dog, causing lacerations and a puncture. I struggled to pull my 2 dogs back, she finally grabbed up her dog who was screaming and found some blood. I asked her what she wanted me to do - she said, "You know where I live." I told her I'd come back later. I took my dogs home, came back, and she was not home, but I guessed correctly that she was at the nearby veterinarian. I called them and confirmed that they were seeing her dog. A few hours later, I returned first to the vet clinic to ask how the dog was and what the estimated treatment costs were going to be. The dog was alive (thankfully) and the estimate was only just above $200. I told them I was going to be covering that. I went back to the woman's house and she was upset but not nasty, I told her I'd spoken to the vet. Later, the vet called me with a full assessment of the dog's condition ("dog was lucky") and the bill was now closer to $500 - I paid it. I went back and had a civil conversation with the woman and her friend. Text messages between us ensued (civil); I dropped off my dog's rabies vaccine proof and a gift card for the treats for her dog.

That was yesterday. Today, my husband had surgery. Immediately after (4pm) I texted the woman again to ask if her dog was feeling any better. No response.

Now I'm concerned that she's going to file a complaint and/or lawsuit and someone has told her to stop communicating with me. (I'm really hoping the dog didn't take a turn for the worse.) In Georgia, if her dog was bitten and I've covered the bill - is there anything more she could go after me for?

adjusterjack

Now I'm concerned that she's going to file a complaint and/or lawsuit and someone has told her to stop communicating with me.
Unlikely. You came forward quickly and took care of the bill. You did the right thing.

I wouldn't consider one day as avoiding you.

You're in the same neighborhood. Pay another personal visit and see how the dog is doing.

In Georgia, if her dog was bitten and I've covered the bill - is there anything more she could go after me for?
Additional vet bills if the dog needs more care. Otherwise, no.

Cara.M

As an introvert, I don't like to "drop in" on people. I find it super annoying when people do it to me, so I don't like to do it to people. I don't actually live in the neighborhood where I was walking my dog, so I can't just stroll by to see if she's there, either.

I guess I'm now worried that she's not answering because the dog has died. (I'm a worst-case-scenario thinker, obviously and unfortunately.) I'm really really hoping that's not true and the status I received from the vet didn't indicate that that would happen, but it was a TINY dog.

I know that dogs are usually "property" under the law (which, as a dog lover, I've always found unfortunate... until now) so I'm guessing that I could be potentially responsible for the "value" of the dog, should she pass away. She was 13 years old, so I don't know what that value might be, but I'm hoping this never reaches either my insurance company OR the local animal control.

That's actually something I'm concerned about - there are quarantine rules when there's a dog bite, in Georgia - but I'm not sure if this applies when it is another animal that's bitten, or just a person. My local animal control website is not clear on this. My dog would have a very hard time in quarantine, as she's not been away from us for 10 years and has health conditions that require regular medications and dietary restrictions.

quincy

IMHO that sounds like poking a bear.
I think checking in with the veterinarian again is enough. If the owner of the injured dog senses guilt, she is liable to start believing she is entitled to more than just vet expenses. Under Georgia law, she’s not (based on what is described of the incident).

Cara, you said your dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccinations. Your dogs have never attacked other dogs (or people) in the past, have they? Do they have proper licensing for your area (if required)?

LdiJ

I think checking in with the veterinarian again is enough. If the owner of the injured dog senses guilt, she is liable to start believing she is entitled to more than just vet expenses. Under Georgia law, she’s not (based on what is described of the incident).

Cara, you said your dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccinations. Your dogs have never attacked other dogs (or people) in the past, have they? Do they have proper licensing for your area (if required)?
In my opinion it would be better to leave well enough alone. I don't see any reason at this point to contact either the dog owner OR the vet.

While I absolutely think that the OP did the right thing all around, in all reality the owner of the small dog is getting off the hook for at least carelessness. She had her dog tied to a post less than 4 ft from the sidewalk. That was absolutely careless. On top of that it sounds like her dog had "little dog syndrome" which made it even more careless.

Cara.M

I'll see if the vet will let me know if there's been any further visits or updates. And offer to pay for them...

My dogs have never attacked other dogs or people in the past. The only requirement here is rabies vax, and leashing, which they both were.

I have tried very hard to stay away from language indicating guilt. It's hard to do, when you're paying the bills, but I *do* recognize that my dog should not have done that. (I also think that she should not have had her tiny dog able to reach us, as she did, but I don't guess making that argument would make me look very good!)

Thanks

Cara.M

I am interested if anyone has any knowledge of this quarantine-for-bite law, in Georgia, and if it applies to animal biting animal, or just people...

Cara.M

Here is a link to the law for your reference:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2020/title-51/chapter-2/section-51-2-7/

Quarantining is necessary if there is no proof of rabies vaccination and/or if the dog is considered a dangerous dog and/or the dog is not under the immediate control of the owner (found running at large).

I think you have done what you can do.
I hope so. I'm concerned for her dog but I don't want mine to suffer a bad fate, either. I think the only reason that something more might come of this is if her dog should die (which I truly hope it does not) in which case my dog could, I think, be categorized as "dangerous." (Under O.C.G.A. § 4-8-21) I also hope the vet bills stop, because I'm on a fixed income and my dog's (regular) vet bills are already a lot!

Thanks, all, for the reassurance and advice.

quincy

I hope so. I'm concerned for her dog but I don't want mine to suffer a bad fate, either. I think the only reason that something more might come of this is if her dog should die (which I truly hope it does not) in which case my dog could, I think, be categorized as "dangerous." (Under O.C.G.A. § 4-8-21) I also hope the vet bills stop, because I'm on a fixed income and my dog's (regular) vet bills are already a lot!

Thanks, all, for the reassurance and advice.
You should check on your local or county ordinances to see if they have a quarantine period for all dog bites because I see that some do.

Because your dogs have proof of rabies vaccinations, you should be able to keep your dogs confined to your own home during the quarantine period if your area requires quarantine. Whether your particular area requires that your dogs be tested for rabies or have a vaccination booster, even with proof of an up to date vaccination, is again something you should check on.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

While I absolutely think that the OP did the right thing all around, in all reality the owner of the small dog is getting off the hook for at least carelessness. She had her dog tied to a post less than 4 ft from the sidewalk. That was absolutely careless. On top of that it sounds like her dog had "little dog syndrome" which made it even more careless.
Disagree. If you want to get technical from a legal standpoint, the little dog was under control on the owner's property.

By Cara W's own admission:

I was walking my 2 big dogs. I struggled to pull my 2 dogs back,
She was unable to keep her "big" dogs under control. That's negligence.

quincy

Disagree. If you want to get technical from a legal standpoint, the little dog was under control on the owner's property.

The owner of the injured dog would need to prove that Cara’s dogs were, first and most importantly, vicious or dangerous dogs (and a first-time unexpected bite doesn’t do that), and prove that Cara was careless (she had the dogs leashed on public property), and prove the dog-victim did not provoke the attack. All three.

A dog owner whose dog injures another dog may have to quarantine the dog for X days. A dog owner may have to have dog get a rabies “booster.” And a dog owner could be cited for a violation of a city/county animal ordinance (e.g., a leash law, proof of rabies vaccination, a dog license). If there is a violation of an ordinance, the dog owner could be cited and fined.

Only if the dog is proved to be vicious or dangerous and the dog owner was careless and the dog was not provoked, however, can the dog owner be held liable for all of the victim’s costs. If the victim is shown to have provoked the attack, damages are reduced by percentage of fault.

Cara said the dogs were not known to be vicious or dangerous, and I personally see the little dog as provoking Cara’s dogs.

But Cara has done all she can do right now, other than finding out if her locality requires quarantine for the dogs - and, if so, where they must be quarantined. I think the dogs should be allowed an at-home quarantine but I don’t know the county involved.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I still see some responsibility on the part of the small dog owner. I would expect to be able to walk my dogs on the sidewalk with a normal leash length without having to worry about someone else's dog coming within reach that wasn't under the control of its owner. I also have owned many small dogs and a lot of them have a serious tendency to challenge big dogs.

So, we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Was the small dog contained so that it could not step off the owner's property? Did your dog go off the sidewalk onto the small dog owner's property to bite the small dog? If the answer is yes to either of those, you are responsible. You (your dog) were trespassing on someone else's property and attacked a dog that was contained within that property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">