• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Breeders sells abused JRT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dana

Six months ago, I bought a Jack Russell Terrier and since that time, the dog has attacked my son, jumped my husband and bit my daughter too. When I called the breeder to see if she would accept a return of the dog, she said that she would. She also mentioned that my dog had been previously owned and possibly abused at that time. These facts were never mentioned at the time of the sale. I'm suing her in small claims (filed today) for the sale price of the dog, the maintenance (vets, food et al) and punitive damages of $2000. She never told me
that a) the dog was previously owned and b)possibly abused. Do you think that I can win this case? I have a witness who heard the breeder describe her suspicion about the former abuse and receipts for most of the expenses.

A

Alice A

It sounds as if you might get your money back, but most small claims courts do not award punitive damages. And I doubt the dog food would be paid....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">