• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NRSmith

What is the name of your state?Oregon.
My housemate and I are currently caring for a dog for over 4 months. This dog belonged to a person who lived in this same apartment before I moved in 5 months ago. The person who moved out brought his dog back to our apartment 4 months ago because the dog was very sick and he could not care for the dog. We took the dog to the Vet, paid for his medication and visit and have continued to care for the little guy to this day.
The owner has now requested to pick up his dog. The owner has not visited or requested to visit his dog in the entire 4 months. He has paid zero $ for the cost of his dog's up-keep, however the owner does have the dog licensed in his name.
I have grave concerns for the dog's well being in his owner's care. I love this dog and he is a part of my life.
Do I have the right to say no? In the eyes of the law is this a case of abandonment on the owner's part.
I checked out Oregon Animal Law but found only references to lost dogs and ownership.
I appreciate any advice on this matter.

justalayman

What was said when he brought the dog to you; was he giving you the dog or asking you to care for the dog?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?Oregon.
My housemate and I are currently caring for a dog for over 4 months. This dog belonged to a person who lived in this same apartment before I moved in 5 months ago. The person who moved out brought his dog back to our apartment 4 months ago because the dog was very sick and he could not care for the dog. We took the dog to the Vet, paid for his medication and visit and have continued to care for the little guy to this day.
The owner has now requested to pick up his dog. The owner has not visited or requested to visit his dog in the entire 4 months. He has paid zero $ for the cost of his dog's up-keep, however the owner does have the dog licensed in his name.
I have grave concerns for the dog's well being in his owner's care. I love this dog and he is a part of my life.
Do I have the right to say no? In the eyes of the law is this a case of abandonment on the owner's part.
I checked out Oregon Animal Law but found only references to lost dogs and ownership.
How old is the dog?

adjusterjack

Long story short: Not your dog. Give him back to his owner. You'll never win this if it goes to court.

You should have known at the getgo that this would happen and not gotten emotionally attached.

I've been taking care of my son's dog since January because my son is homeless, jobless, sleeps in parking lots and survives doing odd jobs for nearby businesses. I like the dog, the dog likes me, but he is not my dog, he is my son's dog and when my son wants his dog back, he gets his dog back.

Just Blue

Long story short: Not your dog. Give him back to his owner. You'll never win this if it goes to court.

You should have known at the getgo that this would happen and not gotten emotionally attached.

I've been taking care of my son's dog since January because my son is homeless, jobless, sleeps in parking lots and survives doing odd jobs for nearby businesses. I like the dog, the dog likes me, but he is not my dog, he is my son's dog and when my son wants his dog back, he gets his dog back.
What if son doesn't ask for poochie back for a year or two? Would you still give him back?

justalayman

He asked us to take of his dog for a couple of weeks. It was vague as far as timing.
Then I’m sorry to say but you’re going to have to give him his dog.

I would seek repayment for vet bills though. Possibly even something for the food. Maybe you can work out a deal; you keep the dog he doesn’t have to pay you.

NRSmith

I sincerely thank you for the advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but that's the way it is. I will ask for repayment though.

MS>K

I live in the state of Colorado, I was caring for 2 dogs for 4 mos. the owner returned and requested them back. a total of 6 weeks had went by and in that time frame they were severely neglected so I took action and have complete owner ship . the original owner blows my phone up wanting them, but I have legally obtained ownership and there is no way in hell I would have ever returned them if I didn't obtain that piece of paper. The person in my opinion had abandoned the pooch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">