• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

He asked us to take of his dog for a couple of weeks. It was vague as far as timing.
If you agreed to take care of the dog in the owner's absence, you knew in advance that the owner had no intention of abandoning his dog. The absence was going to be a temporary one.

If you did not ask at that time for compensation to take care of the dog, you essentially became a "foster parent" to the dog, taking on the expenses of caring for the dog.

You can ask to keep the dog (even pay the owner X amount of dollars to keep him) or you can ask for reimbursement for the veterinarian costs.

But I do not see that you have a legal right to keep the dog. The dog has a legal owner.

(Colorado is not Oregon)

quincy

How did you do that?
Colorado is not Oregon, so how (or if) Ms>K obtained ownership of two dogs really doesn't matter.

It can be possible in all states, however, for a humane society to rescue dogs from abusive or neglectful owners and later put these dogs up for adoption.

justalayman

I live in the state of Colorado, I was caring for 2 dogs for 4 mos. the owner returned and requested them back. a total of 6 weeks had went by and in that time frame they were severely neglected so I took action and have complete owner ship . the original owner blows my phone up wanting them, but I have legally obtained ownership and there is no way in hell I would have ever returned them if I didn't obtain that piece of paper. The person in my opinion had abandoned the pooch.
THe specific facts of your situation may have allowed you to take court action and be given ownership. With the case at hand it is highly unlikely a court would interpret the original agreement to have been abandoned. Given we have absolutely no facts regarding your situation, it is impossible to make any reasonable comparison between the two situations.

MS>K

How I obtained the Ownership was due to the fact that they were surrendered to me, Do to the fact they were picked up by animal control and instead of going to back to the original owner or put down after 17 days in the pound , I found out that they were there and contacted the owner who could of paid to have them home, and asked that she could surrender them to me and I wanted to become owner of them. And after the 3 times a week visits she would do to see them for what time she did, It was apparent to the staff and to the original owner that them putting sights on me and how they reacted that the Love I have from my 2 four legged children and My Love For Them They needed to be Home and That's Where They are Gonna Stay

quincy

How I obtained the Ownership was due to the fact that they were surrendered to me, Do to the fact they were picked up by animal control and instead of going to back to the original owner or put down after 17 days in the pound , I found out that they were there and contacted the owner who could of paid to have them home, and asked that she could surrender them to me and I wanted to become owner of them. And after the 3 times a week visits she would do to see them for what time she did, It was apparent to the staff and to the original owner that them putting sights on me and how they reacted that the Love I have from my 2 four legged children and My Love For Them They needed to be Home and That's Where They are Gonna Stay
Your facts (and your state) differ significantly from those presented here by our Oregon poster. But I am happy you were able to rescue two dogs from their abusive owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">