• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dog park ruins life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

simmonspitt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Our township turned an old baseball field 20 feet from my backyard, that was unused since 1970, into a dog park without consulting any residents. We listen to barking dogs, March - Dec., 9am until dark. They put up a sign about excessive barking, but that doesn't help. Do we have a case to force them to put up sound-barrier fencing? There is an ordinance on the township's books stating you can have your neighbor cited if their dog barks for more than 30 minutes continually, but we have listened to that for two summers now, and that's when we stay inside with the windows closed. Any suggestions? :(

Antigone*

Our township turned an old baseball field 20 feet from my backyard, that was unused since 1970, into a dog park without consulting any residents. We listen to barking dogs, March - Dec., 9am until dark. They put up a sign about excessive barking, but that doesn't help. Do we have a case to force them to put up sound-barrier fencing? There is an ordinance on the township's books stating you can have your neighbor cited if their dog barks for more than 30 minutes continually, but we have listened to that for two summers now, and that's when we stay inside with the windows closed. Any suggestions? :(
Rescue a dog and join your neighbors at the doggie park!!!:D

Proserpina

Actually...I'm going to go out on a limb here.

Speak with a local attorney who specializes in this kind of thing - I recall living in either PA or ND (it was so long ago!) where there was a similar issue with local noise ordinance and the residents were eventually successful in getting a local business to build higher walls in order to contain noise at night.

Of course with OP's argument being with the township itself (versus a privately owned business) OP may run into difficulties from the get-go but it might be worth - if the noise truly is that disruptive - getting a couple of neighbors to pitch in for at least an initial consult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">