• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog severely injured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisa1s

Dog Severly Injured

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

NEW YORK STATE, ESSEX COUNTY

My question is in reference to my dog who sustained a severe injury recently. This is the situation. On Thursday, Nov. 30th, 2000 at 5:30 pm, I took my dog out on out to go to the bathroom. At this time, it was completely dark outside. I took my dog to the edge of our property line -his preferred place. After my dog had finished going to the bathroom, I was going to run with him back to the house - on the leash. As we began running my dog ran into a piece of rebar that the owner's of the adjacent lot had placed in the ground. The rebar was placed in the ground to mark the property line. The rebar protruded from the ground approximately 18 inches high and was 1/2 inch in diameter. When my dog ran into the rebar, he sustained severe injuries to his side, abdomen, and leg. My dog was immediately rushed to the vet where he underwent an hour and a half of surgery for wound repairs. He has been hospitalized for three days now. The vet has said he will require follow-up surgery. We called our home owner's insurance and they said that it would be the responsibility of the other property owner's because they place the stakes on the property line. The other owner's have not been cooperative. Futher, they sent three men to drive all stakes into the ground including the one my dog was injured on, two days after I notified them, but they have not contacted me further. My question is this - were the other owner's negligent in leaving piece of rebar sticking 18 inches out of the ground on the property line, and several others for that matter? There is no fence separating the property. There are only a few trees and several of these stakes at the time. They were not taped off; only driven into the ground and with about 18 inches protruding. My vet bills will be extensive, and if I have a legal right, if they were negligent, I would like to seek reimbursement for the bills. I would appreciate any input you might be able to provide.

[Edited by lisa1s on 12-03-2000 at 06:41 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">