• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog's attacked four year old daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhcordero

What is the name of your state? California
I wanted to know if I had case. recently I was leaving the house with my four year old daughter. And my neighbors two pit bull dogs got our there yard and traced my daughter because she started running towards the car. the two dogs ran towards her and one jumped on her and the other snapped at her face and bit her cheek nothing to serious but enough to make her bleed and her chest had three large scratches on it. My daughter was really scared and for her already being mild autistic she is really scared to leave the house ever since the incident happen. I want to take my neighbor to court for my daughter injuries and her being emotionally effected by the incident. would i have a case?

Just Blue

I wanted to know if I had case. recently I was leaving the house with my four year old daughter. And my neighbors two pit bull dogs got our there yard and traced my daughter because she started running towards the car. the two dogs ran towards her and one jumped on her and the other snapped at her face and bit her cheek nothing to serious but enough to make her bleed and her chest had three large scratches on it. My daughter was really scared and for her already being mild autistic she is really scared to leave the house ever since the incident happen. I want to take my neighbor to court for my daughter injuries and her being emotionally effected by the incident. would i have a case?
Yes. Place your daughter in therapy to help her overcome the trauma of the attack. Your suit should include all out of pocket medical/therapeutic expenses along with pain and suffering. I hope your daughter is able to emotionally recover from this.
If the neighbors own their home you will have a much better chance of collecting on any award (home owners insurance).
Did you report the attack to the police and animal control?

quincy

Yes.

You can speak to a personal injury attorney in your area for a review of your daughter's medical records and to go over the facts that led to the dog bite.

Blue mentioned police report and animal control report. Both can be important.

mhcordero

Yes. Place your daughter in therapy to help her overcome the trauma of the attack. Your suit should include all out of pocket medical/therapeutic expenses along with pain and suffering. I hope your daughter is able to emotionally recover from this.
If the neighbors own their home you will have a much better chance of collecting on any award (home owners insurance).
Did you report the attack to the police and animal control?
Thank you for your reply. Yes I called police and animal control but they said i coudnt make a report because it was nothing serious. and the police report was wrong. the dispatch told the police officer a hole different story that i told her. but there is a report on that date at the time it happened and the police came to the house but neighbors weren't home.

mhcordero

Yes.

You can speak to a personal injury attorney in your area for a review of your daughter's medical records and to go over the facts that led to the dog bite.

Blue mentioned police report and animal control report. Both can be important.
thank you for reply. and advice. I took her to urgent care. but since there wasn't a major bite and just scratches and a tear on her cheek she just got it cleaned and antibiotic cream on it.

quincy

Thank you for your reply. Yes I called police and animal control but they said i coudnt make a report because it was nothing serious. and the police report was wrong. the dispatch told the police officer a hole different story that i told her. but there is a report on that date at the time it happened and the police came to the house but neighbors weren't home.
The owner of the dogs should pay for any medical expenses incurred as a result of the dog bite.

mhcordero

Here is a link to California's dog bite law:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=3342.

Keep receipts for anything that relates to the injury. Your daughter may need to speak to a therapist so she doesn't develop a lifelong fear of dogs.

I hope your daughter suffers no lasting harm.
[/QU

Thank you
Here is a link to California's dog bite law:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&sectionNum=3342.

Keep receipts for anything that relates to the injury. Your daughter may need to speak to a therapist so she doesn't develop a lifelong fear of dogs.

I hope your daughter suffers no lasting harm.
Thank you for you advice a really do appreciate. I am very upset about all this and support means a lot. I do also hope she doesn't have a fear of dogs as well and this doesn't effect her too much. It hurts already seeing her cry every time we leave due to her being scared.

quincy

Here is a link to California's dangerous and potentially dangerous dog statutes:
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ca-dangerous-california-dangerous-dog-statutes
You will want to make sure the dogs are up to date on their rabies vaccinations. Animal control will want to contact the owner of the dogs. The dogs' owner could be cited for not having control of their dogs, resulting in injury.

Some children recover emotionally from a dog attack without any issues. It helps if they have dogs of their own or have had past contact with friendly dogs.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">