• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DoI have a case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doc7

What is the name of your state? TN

I was made to attend a staff retreat that was held at a religious camp and had to answer questions about my beleif in God and the bible. Everyone also prayed and discussed bible verses. I am not a Christian. I asked if I had to attend and I was told it was mandatory. Do I have a case? If so, what is the next step I need to take?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is your employer a religious organization or connected to a religious organization?

doc7

It states in our policies that the organization does not endorse or promote any particular philosophy or religious belief

BelizeBreeze

doc7 said:
It states in our policies that the organization does not endorse or promote any particular philosophy or religious belief
Then send them a Certified (RRR) letter reminding them of:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;

and;

the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which, among other things, provides monetary damages in cases of intentional employment discrimination.

doc7

No the organization is not a religious organization or affliated with a religious organization

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thank you. I don't know why it was like pulling teeth to get you to answer a very relevant question.

Since your employer is not a religious organization or affiliated with such, they were almost certainly in violation of Title VII in requiring you to participate in this retreat. You are free to file a complaint with the EEOC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">