• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domain hosting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doug02346

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I work for a restaurant. It was created and is hosted by a company in North Carolina. We are unsatisfied with their service and want to shift the service to a company locally in Massachusetts. The NC company is listed at the admin and technical contacts.

What I would like to know is are there any legal issues as to who actually owns the domain name, us or them, and what legal issues would I face if the NC company gives us a hard time about having our site hosted on someone else's server.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I work for a restaurant. It was created and is hosted by a company in North Carolina. We are unsatisfied with their service and want to shift the service to a company locally in Massachusetts. The NC company is listed at the admin and technical contacts.

What I would like to know is are there any legal issues as to who actually owns the domain name, us or them, and what legal issues would I face if the NC company gives us a hard time about having our site hosted on someone else's server.

Thanks
What does the contract say?

Last edited by a moderator:

blair2012

Ask the company you want to take over the web site. They will know all the answers, and will be in a position to handle all the transfers. The vital thing is that eventually you need the emails listed as the administrative & registrant contacts to be under control of the owner, not an outside third party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">