• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domain name extortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

linkavb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I am trying to start an online business and have registered a name with U.S trademark's office. However the domain name is taken by someone else. An individual. When I contacted him to sell me the domain name for the amount he paid, he asked for a five figure payoff.

If I own trademark with that name, is it legal for him to hold on to domain name? He also lives in New Zeland and not in USA.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

I am trying to start an online business and have registered a name with U.S trademark's office. However the domain name is taken by someone else. An individual. When I contacted him to sell me the domain name for the amount he paid, he asked for a five figure payoff.

If I own trademark with that name, is it legal for him to hold on to domain name? He also lives in New Zeland and not in USA.

Thanks
So, you tried to still his domain by registering it as a trademark huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">