• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domain ownership & Employee compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bassichonda96

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I have a customer that signed a contract in 2006 for website hosting, domain name, and site design. A contract had been active and expired December 2007. I was paid up until Jan 2008 with the verbal agreement that the website monthly payments would be put into my weekly check working as en employee for this company so that taxes would automatically be deducted. After Jan 2008, I never saw any more money from this company/employer. They did renew their domain name through me for a specific amount in Jan 2008 but are refusing to compensate me for the money owed for hosting and site maintenance. I have been holding the domain name until I receive compensation for the past 10 months. They are threatening to bring me to court and still refuse to pay me, do I have legal stance here? Do I need a lawyer?

FlyingRon

In actuality you can't hold the domain hostage. They'll take you not to court but through the domain dispute process and I guarantee you will lose.

If you have a contract, you need to take THEM to court to collect rather than trying to hold property hostage without legal justification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">