• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic partnerships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlong82

What is the name of your state?
North Carolina
My sister has been living with her boyfriend for over 15 years. Only his name is on the deed and mortgage for the house. The boyfriend just moved out of the house, and now tells my sister that she has to be out ASAP. BUt he has frequently stated that he considers her part owner of the house, and recently left a voice mail message on her phone advising the same. Would she be considered part owner of the house? She has paid "rent" every month for years. What should she do?

Last edited:

Zephyr

he can't just kick her out, he would have to go through the eviction process just like any other landlord, and the fact that she pays "rent" might negate any claim she may have had on the house, this would be a rather simple question for a lawyer to answer, I think. maybe just call one in your area to find out for sure

Happy Trails

jlong82 said:
What is the name of your state?
North Carolina
My sister has been living with her boyfriend for over 15 years. Only his name is on the deed and mortgage for the house. The boyfriend just moved out of the house, and now tells my sister that she has to be out ASAP. BUt he has frequently stated that he considers her part owner of the house, and recently left a voice mail message on her phone advising the same. Would she be considered part owner of the house? She has paid "rent" every month for years. What should she do?
There is nothing in your post that indicates she has any ownership of the house.

She needs to be looking for a new place to live. The facts that the house and mortgage are in BF's name, simply means he has the financial obligation and sole ownership.

She did nothing to protect herself and was nothing more than just a tenant (so to speak). If he wants to give her something for her time in the house, that would be entirely up to him. Your post doesn't indicate that they had any type of agreement that would give her rights to be compensated for anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">