• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic violence;;common law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Noelle_99

I have been living with a man for 6 years that puts me through constant emotional and verbal abuse, and has in the past dolled out physical abuse (can be proven). I was under the impression that NC recognized common law marriage, and am told now that it doesn't. If I finally DO get up the intestinal fortitude to leave this man, do I leave with nothing?
Please email any and all responses.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

North Carolina IS NOT a common law marriage State.

You are not married. You are live-in boyfriend and girlfriend.

You leave this relationship with your clothes, your own debts, and all property that is in your name, or that you can prove you purchased. That's it.

If any property is in both of your names, you'll have to sue him in order to have the property sold and divided.

IAAL

S

Snoopy

Noelle_99 said:
I have been living with a man for 6 years that puts me through constant emotional and verbal abuse, and has in the past dolled out physical abuse (can be proven). I was under the impression that NC recognized common law marriage, and am told now that it doesn't. If I finally DO get up the intestinal fortitude to leave this man, do I leave with nothing?
If IF ???? What are you waiting for, another punch in the face or a kick in the head ???? Pack your bags and get out now!

K

Kitty Katt

I can realate to this...

I was once in an abusive marriage. I worked hard to buy the things we had in our home, including our home. When I decided to leave, I said to the police officer," What about my things, my home??" The police officer looked at me and said, "What about your life? Material things will not do you any good if he kills you." He was right of course. So, I left, moved away where my abusive husband couldn't find me, and started over. My ex has moved on, I feel for his new g/f. We didn't have children, so I cannot comment on that. Follow the advice you get here and leave that relationship, believe me, I know how frighten you must be, but if you want to live, you have to get the courage to get out..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">