• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bb1226

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Indiana
My children and I recently have moved from our home due to Violence to myself and them. I have filed for divorce and things are getting ugly.
Of course I deserve nothing, And I won't get anything according to him. I was married 13yrs. I am not so much worried about the finacial outcome of the divorce and what I'll get but I am wanting all my childrens things that I have saved over the years. Cards from them that they made, Their letters they wrote to santa. Ther school articles for the sports there in etc. He won't let me have them. To me he is still emotionally abusing me.
Since we have been gone I have found out so many things from my kids who are now teenagers that he has done to them. Violent, physical ,verbal,& emotional abuse over the years. They never told me for fear he'd come back at them for telling me. I'll recover from my abuse I worry about them, I'm going to get them in counsling so that they know this wasn't there fault and that relationships are not suppose to be this way. But I am angry, very angry. Is there anything I can do to have him punished for this? Or should I count my blessings that were out and turn the other cheek?

HomeGuru

bb1226 said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Indiana
My children and I recently have moved from our home due to Violence to myself and them. I have filed for divorce and things are getting ugly.
Of course I deserve nothing, And I won't get anything according to him. I was married 13yrs. I am not so much worried about the finacial outcome of the divorce and what I'll get but I am wanting all my childrens things that I have saved over the years. Cards from them that they made, Their letters they wrote to santa. Ther school articles for the sports there in etc. He won't let me have them. To me he is still emotionally abusing me.
Since we have been gone I have found out so many things from my kids who are now teenagers that he has done to them. Violent, physical ,verbal,& emotional abuse over the years. They never told me for fear he'd come back at them for telling me. I'll recover from my abuse I worry about them, I'm going to get them in counsling so that they know this wasn't there fault and that relationships are not suppose to be this way. But I am angry, very angry. Is there anything I can do to have him punished for this? Or should I count my blessings that were out and turn the other cheek?

**A: you and your kids report all of his actions.

Lynnel99

State: VA

In my case (I lived in RI, my situation is the same as yours only my children were much younger) I was allowed to go and get anything in the house I wanted until a certain date. Of course we had to agree on which half of what I wanted... Stupidly, i didn't get everything out and it all got destroyed or sold or given away by his new wife. Mostly I try NOT to think about all of the things I lost to that doof... If I do I get really sad, then mad. I got my kids and freedom! And he got his sorry life. The court will tell you what you can have- Let them! Good luck and be strong. Oh yeah, and DO keep track of everything he does!!! Super good policy. AND, if you are seeing a counselor, tell them everything. Then it's documented by a source other than yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">