• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestic violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I went through a divorce in 1993 after 10 years of abuse, beatings,a lot of physical and emotional damage. In court the judge put a restraining order against him, and he was ordered to keep up all payments until we went to court. He let the house be foreclosed on, burned all my cloths and family pictures and sold all the furniture. I left the state until time for court as I feared for my life. I came back into town, he knew I was there and started calling and threatening me. My daughter and I were at a shopping center, he suddenly appeared and attacked me. Knocking out 5 of my teeth, hitting me in the face over and over until I blacked out. My daughter was able to get me in the car and to the police station. There I was snickered at, nobody would go and arrest him, it was a joke to them. Next morning I called the DA, they said to come down and file a report which I did. We got a court date, he was given a $200.00 fine and released. I felt like a whipped dog with no rights. I want to know if after all this time, is there any way to sue him for either assault and battery, contempt of a court order, anything. I have dental problems caused by his attack that I can't afford. I think he should be liable for all my medical bills even now as I have had to let it go . I had to leave the state, my family, due to fear.As for the divorce, the judge said I should be content that I can go to sleep at night and not worry about him coming in and beating me. I lost my house, my furniture, clothes, personal items that cannot be replaced. Is there no justice in Texas for a woman under these circumstances?



That is absolutely horrible. The fact that the police "snickered" at your situation is unforgiveable. Especially since it occured in front of your child!

If I were you, I would look into women's groups and shelters in your area as a starting point. They may be able to answer your questions, help you retain some sort of legal representation or assign an advocate to assist you. He should absolutely be responsible for your bills and I would seriously considering filing a civil suit against him. I don't know if time is an issue or not, hopefully one of the lawyers on here will answer your question as I am woefully inadequate in that area:)

You said you were in Texas? Here are a couple of places in Texas that have sites:


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential