• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Domestics appeal hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eruby

What is the name of your state? California

My ex took my kid from me last year and lied, well not to go into details, but he got full legal custody. I had already planned to move to California 6 months prior, and he lives in Pennsylvania. Now he took me for support, and I was unemployed (stay at home mom), so he got a very slim amount. Now he has appealed, and since I live in a different state, I cannot attend in person. Domestics in PA told me I could appear by phone, and to mail all my documents into their office. I did all this, and now over a month later they are giving me the runaround saying they never got it (was mailed certified) and they say I cannot attend over the phone.
Do I have to appear? What happens when I don't (I cannot, obviously)

justalayman

If you do not appear the court can find in favor of the other party on their requests.

It doesn’t mean they will but they can. You may or may not be able to appeal the decisions made, or seek a new hearing, depending on how the courts see your ur failure to attend this upcoming hearing.​

I would suggesting counsel local to the court to help you deal with this. The time available to you is obviously very limited which makes doing anything problematic, even with an attorney involved..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">