• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctwitty

Missiouri--I am married but have been separated for over 7 years and my husband is not an american so he now lives back in his home country and has not tried to help his children at all. I have two kids by him and I have one child by another man. My question is that I have a medical condition that may cause me to die at any time and I have family members that want my kids but I don't trust them with my kids. I have a boyfriend that I trust so much and is there anyway that he can get custody of my kids in the event of my death? We have no money for legal help unless we can find someone who will pay on a sliding scale and make payments. Please help me if you can. Thanks

NotSoNew

well you can make a will and say who you want your children to go with, however the father or your family could contest that will. Oh and your will must be legal, not just a peice of paper you write up.

VeronicaGia

dynomight77 said:
well you can make a will and say who you want your children to go with, however the father or your family could contest that will. Oh and your will must be legal, not just a peice of paper you write up.
Children are not property and cannot be willed away as such. While our poster can put her wishes into a will, a judge will ulitmately decide where the children go.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
dynomight77 said:
You can do this with puppies and furniture, not with children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">