• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dont know where to pick up...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cntryhrt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

It has been a while since I have been here, had to do away with internet bill.

I can't seem to find the spot to go to look at my previous posts. But one thing I remember is everyone saying a step parent has no legal rights. If that is the case here in Nebraska then why am I being held in contempt for denying visitaion to my ex when he is not even in town and I am told to turn over my daughter to the step mom she does not want to go with when daddy isn't around?

Ex took me to court on contempt sharges for denying visitaion, they won based on alot of fabrications and exgagerations. They submitted a list of dates once court started and my lawyer and I were not given time to look them over, tried to get a continuance, but it was denied. I have EVERYTHING documented for the past yr and a half, when it was my turn to take the stand and defend myself, I was not allowed to hardly speak. The dates they had were a couple hrs here or there over a yr and a half, most times were agreed upon (or so I thought, didnt have it in writting) and times were made up the following week or were times he told me he would be out of town and didnt let me know he had returned. Only one time was a true denial on my part. My college graduation in Feb, I requested I pick daughter up early so I could take her, SM jumped in and told me I was NOT getting her back early, when I tried to speak to ex about it, he wouldnt speak to me. SO I told him I was keeping her, (there is a line in our decree stating there must be flexability in visitaion for childs social and educational needs).

Now I have been ordered to make-up time in the amount of 19 days (nowhere near that amount of time missed!) He will be out of town for most of it, judge not happy about that, and I have to make my daughter go with SM.

Just wanted to give a quick update.

Oh and she has been calling the police, CPS, Health and Human Services on me..all claims have been unfounded but this entire process is exhausting! How much more can a person take?

My main question now is, how am I denying visitaion if he is not even here to pick child up?! There isn't a child between them, so no other siblings, and he is out of town for weeks at a time for work.

And where are my rights as a mother?! It feels like the courts have given all my rights to the SM.

Sorry for the long post, I am up stressing for an in home visit by Health and Human Services and just lost ......

Just Blue

I can't seem to find the spot to go to look at my previous posts. But one thing I remember is everyone saying a step parent has no legal rights. If that is the case here in Nebraska then why am I being held in contempt for denying visitaion to my ex when he is not even in town and I am told to turn over my daughter to the step mom she does not want to go with when daddy isn't around?

Ex took me to court on contempt sharges for denying visitaion, they won based on alot of fabrications and exgagerations. They submitted a list of dates once court started and my lawyer and I were not given time to look them over, tried to get a continuance, but it was denied. I have EVERYTHING documented for the past yr and a half, when it was my turn to take the stand and defend myself, I was not allowed to hardly speak. The dates they had were a couple hrs here or there over a yr and a half, most times were agreed upon (or so I thought, didnt have it in writting) and times were made up the following week or were times he told me he would be out of town and didnt let me know he had returned. Only one time was a true denial on my part. My college graduation in Feb, I requested I pick daughter up early so I could take her, SM jumped in and told me I was NOT getting her back early, when I tried to speak to ex about it, he wouldnt speak to me. SO I told him I was keeping her, (there is a line in our decree stating there must be flexability in visitaion for childs social and educational needs).

Now I have been ordered to make-up time in the amount of 19 days (nowhere near that amount of time missed!) He will be out of town for most of it, judge not happy about that, and I have to make my daughter go with SM.

Oh and she has been calling the police, CPS, Health and Human Services on me..all claims have been unfounded but this entire process is exhausting! How much more can a person take?

My main question now is, how am I denying visitaion if he is not even here to pick child up?! There isn't a child between them, so no other siblings, and he is out of town for weeks at a time for work.

And where are my rights as a mother?! It feels like the courts have given all my rights to the SM.

Sorry for the long post, I am up stressing for an in home visit by Health and Human Services and just lost ......

Have you discussed filing an appeal of the decision with your attorney?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Did you prove that dad was not there at all during that time? Did dad state he was there during that time? What does the actual judgment state? How did the judge make is decision? Dad is allowed to have stepmom handle his transportation and pick his child up unless the court order PROHIBITS IT.

cntryhrt

I did inquire about an appeal, but "make-up" time already started.

Dad did lie about being in or out of town on the stand. When I stated the fact, his lawyer objected, stating irrealavance (sp).

Most of our conversations were on the phone, so I have no proof of anything, guess I learned my lesson on that part.

CourtClerk

Then how do you prove that dad wasn't home as opposed to just having SM pick up the child for him or out for a little while while you dropped her off?

Your graduation has nothing to do with your child's social or educational needs, those are YOUR social and educational needs. You had no right to deny visitation (but I think you know that).

You lost because you couldn't prove what was going on. Hope you learned that from now on, everything needs to be in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">