• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know where to start

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

map722

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have been married 8 years and we have a five year old son together. It is becoming more and more clearer as the days go by that I can't be in this relationship any longer. I work full time at a low paying job. Enough to make my credit card and student loan bills and my car payment. I contribute nothing financially to the household because my husband makes a six figure income. Can I apply for low income housing, TANF or other assistant type programs to help me out until I am in a more stable place financially even though I am still married? I have no place to stay/go if I leave and staying here feels like my only choice because of finances but it's driving me insane. Help!

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I have been married 8 years and we have a five year old son together. It is becoming more and more clearer as the days go by that I can't be in this relationship any longer. I work full time at a low paying job. Enough to make my credit card and student loan bills and my car payment. I contribute nothing financially to the household because my husband makes a six figure income. Can I apply for low income housing, TANF or other assistant type programs to help me out until I am in a more stable place financially even though I am still married? I have no place to stay/go if I leave and staying here feels like my only choice because of finances but it's driving me insane. Help!
You can do all of that AFTER you actually separate from your husband.

map722

You can do all of that AFTER you actually separate from your husband.

Texas doesn't recognize legal separations though. And if I apply for anything I am obligated to include his income which would automatically disqualify Me from getting help...if I understand that all correctly. So...still stuck. My point of the questions is what is there out me before I file for divorce? I can't live on the streets with my son..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">