• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dont know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maytag3939

What is the name of your state? INDIANA. I lived with the father of my five children for 30 years.We never made anything legal . 10 years ago we split up and he married. Almost two years ago I went through prosecuters office to obtain child support for my youngest who was 16. I then received support. The father passed away December 2018. Its a sorted and emotional story- but I was wondering since we lived together for so long raising a family would there be a chance that I myself would be entitled to his social security? Makes me sick to think his new wife through marriage of convenience would collect anything. There is record of him filing for divorce in 2013 but case closed 2018. I have filed for benefits for my youngest child. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state? INDIANA. I lived with the father of my five children for 30 years.We never made anything legal . 10 years ago we split up and he married. Almost two years ago I went through prosecuters office to obtain child support for my youngest who was 16. I then received support. The father passed away December 2018. Its a sorted and emotional story- but I was wondering since we lived together for so long raising a family would there be a chance that I myself would be entitled to his social security? Makes me sick to think his new wife through marriage of convenience would collect anything. There is record of him filing for divorce in 2013 but case closed 2018. I have filed for benefits for my youngest child. Thank you for any help.
Wow. It's none of your business if his wife collects his social security benefits. She's more entitled to it since she was married to him. You weren't and have nothing coming.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The long and the short of it is that, as his wife, she has the right to file, and possibly receive (based on the details), SS benefits based on their marriage & his work history. You, apparently, are not. Your youngest may - or may not - be entitled to benefits based on his father's death, until he is of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">