• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Down-Sized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glimbaugh

What is the name of your state? MO.

I was at my past employer for over 10 years. I returned to work after a surgery and was promptly told i was "down-sized". I even returned two days early. Yet none of the more junior employees was down-sized.
The ONLY way I will get any type of Severance package is if I will sign a no-compete agreement to NOT be employed in the industry that I have been emloyed in for the last 20 years. The severance package is only 10 weeks. One week for every year of employment. I know for a fact that others that have been fired from the company for cause have been offered better deals than what they have offered me.

What are my options if I have any?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How long were you out of work for the surgery?

How old are you?

Both make a difference to the answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you are over 40, and since your severance agreement is tied to your waiver of certain rights, they are required by law to allow you up to 21 days to decide whether or not to sign. The reason the law provides you with that much time is SPECIFICALLY so that you can have the agreement reviewed by an attorney to determine if it is in your best interests to sign.

You might also want to ask that attorney if your FMLA rights have been violated. I would suggest that you look specifically for an employment attorney.

glimbaugh

thanks

thanks for the info. I guess my next move it to find a lawyer. They did give me 21 days to sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">