• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Downpayment to attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Margaret Helene

In Oklahoma, April 1999, I went in for an initial consultation about updating a child support order from my divorce in Texas. The lawyer was not sure if she could help me, and would check if she could transfer it to Oklahoma, but asked for a deposit with her($1000.00). She asked me to give her a couple of weeks to finish some other cases that she was working on, and she'd get back to me to confirm if she could transfer it up to Oklahoma. After not hearing from her, and I had gotten busy and had assumed that she would notify me if there was a problem, I sent her a letter requesting a refund of my money. I did not know that she had moved to a new office across town, never received any notification of her new address, and did not receive a reply to my request. I am wondering how to approach this in the best way, and what my rights might be for the return of my money, as there was no contract signed and no legal work done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">