• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drained bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkisdlr

Going through a divorce and just had my spouse drain every penny I have from my bank account. 30,000 worth. Went to the police who claim the courts will order him to pay at least some of it back. But I'm not so sure. Anyone familiar with this type of issue?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Going through a divorce and just had my spouse drain every penny I have from my bank account. 30,000 worth. Went to the police who claim the courts will order him to pay at least some of it back. But I'm not so sure. Anyone familiar with this type of issue?
Please tell us where you're located (which US state).

CdwJava

What CAN be done will depend upon the facts. Whose name was the account in, was it established during the marriage, the length of the marriage, ad nauseum. The police will be reluctant to get involved in a seemingly civil dispute, and the DA may not even be able to act depending on the details - and the state.

nikkisdlr

What CAN be done will depend upon the facts. Whose name was the account in, was it established during the marriage, the length of the marriage, ad nauseum. The police will be reluctant to get involved in a seemingly civil dispute, and the DA may not even be able to act depending on the details - and the state.
Was in both of our names. I opened it and added him later, after marriage. Both of us worked the entire duration of the marriage. But regardless, if they can't do anything, I will drag it out in court to make sure the lawyers get it then and he gets nothing. Some way and some how, I will make sure he doesn't get to keep that money. Or keep dragging him through claims court. I will make sure he won't keep that money

CdwJava

I suspect it will be considered as part of any community assets to be divvied up in the divorce settlement.

nikkisdlr

I suspect it will be considered as part of any community assets to be divvied up in the divorce settlement.
Hopefully. But he will either return it or it gets dragged out in court for years. Being his first divorce dragged on for 5 years and he lost 70 grand to lawyers because of it, hopefully he will be a bit smarter. His choice. Me, I dont care. Not gonna drain me dry and get away with it.

Just Blue

Hopefully. But he will either return it or it gets dragged out in court for years. Being his first divorce dragged on for 5 years and he lost 70 grand to lawyers because of it, hopefully he will be a bit smarter. His choice. Me, I dont care. Not gonna drain me dry and get away with it.
Sounds like you picked a winner!!

adjusterjack

Why didn't you get to it first?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Water seeks its level and occasionally finds it, as in this case.

A Pyrrhic Victory serves no one.

Keep track of your financial records and demand that half the value that he withdrew be returned to you in the divorce - either in the form of cash or assets.

The police are going to do nothing because no law was broken. He did not commit identity theft, for example.

Focus less on sticking it to him and more on getting through this with out feeding into the drama. Find another outlet for your anger.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Water seeks its level and occasionally finds it, as in this case.

A Pyrrhic Victory serves no one.

Keep track of your financial records and demand that half the value that he withdrew be returned to you in the divorce - either in the form of cash or assets.

The police are going to do nothing because no law was broken. He did not commit identity theft, for example.

Focus less on sticking it to him and more on getting through this with out feeding into the drama. Find another outlet for your anger.
I wonder if OP realizes that frivolous filings may well end up with HER getting stuck with HIS legal fees?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">