• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drawing On Dad's Pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA & IN

We live in Massachusetts, but my son's dad lives in Illinois and retired from a school system in Indiana.

My son is 27 years and has a developmental disability, for which he current receives Social Security Disability payments, based on his dad's retirement.

Would it be possible for my son to draw on his dad's school system pension?

Would we have to get a lawyer in Indiana?

Perky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA & IN

We live in Massachusetts, but my son's dad lives in Illinois and retired from a school system in Indiana.

My son is 27 years and has a developmental disability, for which he current receives Social Security Disability payments, based on his dad's retirement.

Would it be possible for my son to draw on his dad's school system pension?

Would we have to get a lawyer in Indiana?
It's not likely that you can draw on the pension in the same way you draw on SS. Most teacher retirement systems aren't set up that way, to my knowledge. Survivor's benefits are the only benefits not paid directly to the retired teacher, and of course, those aren't available until after the teacher dies.

Here's a wiki explanation of the Indiana TRF:

Indiana State Teachers' Retirement Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">