• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drawn Out Foreclosure- Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

13sierra32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Here's my timeline:
2/09- stopped making mortgage payments
12/09- divorce final
2/10- ch. 7 discharged including home

Bank of America held the original mortgage (no 2nd mtgs.), and after all this time- the house is still empty (has been for 2+ years), Ocwen now holds the mortgage, and I now have to go pick up an official letter from Ocwen waiting at the post office- I have no idea what it will be about- but likely something more about modification help...which I have no interest in.

Neither my ex-husband nor I have lived in the home for 2 years- Ocwen seems to think that we occupy the home and wants to "help" us modify, etc...I am remarried and am ready for this house deal to be done with.

I tried calling Ocwen to tell them that the mortgage will not be modified, etc...but couldn't get a person on the line. Is there a way to speed up the foreclosure process with Ocwen? We have made ZERO payments since Feb of 2009...but were never late for the history of the loan prior to that, (likely irrelevant). Should I be completely ignoring Ocwen's letters as they come, (as I have been)?

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Here's my timeline:
2/09- stopped making mortgage payments
12/09- divorce final
2/10- ch. 7 discharged including home

Bank of America held the original mortgage (no 2nd mtgs.), and after all this time- the house is still empty (has been for 2+ years), Ocwen now holds the mortgage, and I now have to go pick up an official letter from Ocwen waiting at the post office- I have no idea what it will be about- but likely something more about modification help...which I have no interest in.

Neither my ex-husband nor I have lived in the home for 2 years- Ocwen seems to think that we occupy the home and wants to "help" us modify, etc...I am remarried and am ready for this house deal to be done with.

I tried calling Ocwen to tell them that the mortgage will not be modified, etc...but couldn't get a person on the line. Is there a way to speed up the foreclosure process with Ocwen? We have made ZERO payments since Feb of 2009...but were never late for the history of the loan prior to that, (likely irrelevant). Should I be completely ignoring Ocwen's letters as they come, (as I have been)?
If you don't WANT the house, why not call them and offer a Deed in Lieu, rather than make them take the additional hit of a foreclosure?

BTW: do you and new hubby own a home? They can potentially get a judgment, if there's a deficiency reserved, on the new home if they foreclose..

LdiJ

If you don't WANT the house, why not call them and offer a Deed in Lieu, rather than make them take the additional hit of a foreclosure?

BTW: do you and new hubby own a home? They can potentially get a judgment, if there's a deficiency reserved, on the new home if they foreclose..
Nexie, there was a chapter 7 discharge that included the home...there isn't going to be any judgement.

However OP, Nexies idea of a Deed in Lieu might finalize things faster.

13sierra32

New hubby owns his (our) home, and we do not comingle funds in order to keep things (hopefully safely) separate. Thank you for pointing out the ch. 7 and the fact that is protects me from a deficiency judgement, that was my understanding as well. It is also my understanding that new hubby is only responsible if our funds are comingled and something new or strange came up that I personally owed from prior years. Otherwise it is fairly straightforward- my debt (except for small student loan remaining) was in the ch. 7- hubby's credit is A+ so I stay far from it. :)

Honestly- I would have discussed other options (such as a deed in leiu) with this Ocwen company, but after 20 mins of making selections on the phone, couldn't get a live person and hung up. Everything was about submitting an application for a modification.

Please also note: part of the reason that I just want this done is my lack of faith in working anything out with or explaining anything to my ex-husband that may need to be signed by both of us as we are both on the mortgage.

Maybe there's nothing more that I can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">