• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drink driving? Is it really that bad?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I live rurally, last night my friend had 3 and a half pints and my friend had 11 and he drove us home. I got there in one piece and so did he.
That you got home in one piece doesn't mean you weren't at much higher risk for injury or death (or killing/injuring others) riding in a car driven by someone who had 11 pints. You were certainly at much higher risk of an accident. Science has proven that. It's just that greater risk doesn't mean certainty. So sure, a number of drunks who drive do manage to get home without hurting or killing someone. The problem is, that a good number of injury and fatal accidents out there do involve people who have been drinking. That's why many nations have laws meant to crack down on that problem.

The new limits are stupid and over-restrictive. No one crashed after 3 or 4 pints. Let's restore the old limit of 0.08 %.
Your friend had 11 pints and he was the driver. He was well over .08. And you might have been, too, by the way.

In the U.S. a driver is presumed impaired with .08 BAC in every state but Utah, in which it is .05. In pretty much every state, however, you may also be guilty of a DUI offense if you are actually impaired regardless of what your BAC level is. You could have a BAC of .04 and still be guilty of a DUI if you show any signs of being impaired. So in the U.S. it is a mistake for those who drink to think they are safe from arrest just because their BAC may be below .08 (or .05 in Utah). If you are at all impaired, you can still end up guilty of DUI.

quincy

This isn't a discussion forum and even if it were it should take more than saying something is "stupid" in order to start a legit discussion.
Told you, PayrollHRGuy. It doesn't take much on this forum to get members discussing something stupid.

Although how "legit" this discussion is could be up for debate. :)

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Our drunken OP hit upon a pet peeve of mine: the demand to "discuss." But I have a feeling that being boorish is the least of his problems.

Mass_Shyster

My stepfather's BAC once came back at .35. They couldn't tell he was drunk. My mother knew, but only because he was a mean drunk. He would put away a quart of whiskey/vodka, but leave an inch at the bottom to kill off the hangover tomorrow.

gryndor

Never heard of alcohol poisoning?

I don’t think my mom could drink enough to make her puke (she was a really good alcoholic) but she could have drank enough to kill her.

Not everybody pukes.
My apologies. My tasteless attempt at flippant humor was only through the lens of this being a probably out of country, dummy dui post.

justalayman

My apologies. My tasteless attempt at flippant humor was only through the lens of this being a probably out of country, dummy dui post.
Nah, it wasn’t anybody’s fault. Life just sucks sometimes. No apologies needed.
Thank you though. I appreciate the consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">