• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving personal vehicle for co-worker errands

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dietcokesnob

What is the name of your state? ga

I'm not sure where exactly these questions fit, sorry if I'm posting to the wrong place:

My co-workers keeps asking me to drive at lunchtime to feed his cat when he is out of town. It is about 20 minutes away, one way. I've made up excuses before as to why I can't do it, but he still asks me. He is in a higher position in the company than me, he is a "professional", I am the receptionist. I know I have the ability to just say no, but I'm uncomfortable with doing it. Are there any liabilities my company could face as a result of his asking me to drive my car for this errand? What if I were in a car accident while do it? I just want to know if there might be some legal reason why I can tell him I can't do it, i.e., "it puts the company at a risk if I were in an accident", something like that.

Also, this same co-worker has a problem with body odor that is very offensive to me and my other female co-worker. He comes in the morning and the office immediately starts to smell, in fact whether he is here or not we don't go into his office because it stinks. Can't or shouldn't his boss be told to take a shower, isn't there some law that says people in an office can't stink?

Thanks for your answers to my weird questions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether the company would face any liability or not really depends on your state law. It would fall under workers compensation and quite frankly, w/c law on this is all over the map. You might want to check with someone in HR or whoever handles your workers compensation issues.

That's really what you want to do about the body odor issue, too. No, there is no law that prohibits unpleasant body odors in the workplace, but HR or the co-worker's boss might be able to speak to him about it. It's not a legal issue.

dietcokesnob

Thanks

Thanks for your answer. I didn't figure the smell was a legal issue. Sure can't be very impressive when he goes out to meet customers though. We just call him "Stinky" around here.

Thanks again.

turbowray

cbg i have a question

The workers comp is a wonderful idea for checking but is there a chance that the companys' insurance that they have on the vehicle,may only cover certain things being done for the company. In other words,if she was going to go feed the cat and she got in an accident and it wasnt a work related reason to be in the vehicle,can the car insurance company,not workers comp,refuse to pay for any damages to her or the vehicle,making her liable for it personally? To the poster of this,is there anyone higher than the one asking you to do this that you could approach and say "hes asking me to do this,and as my boss i dont want to say no,but does this go against any company policies concerning driving the company vehicle,i just want to make sure that if something were to happen,i am covered by workers comp and/or the insurance company for the vehicle itself". You may find that he should have never asked you to do this and it may be stopped by his boss if he has one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Carrie, there's really no way to answer that question. As I said, it's going to depend on state law. If the workers comp carrier refuses to pay, it's quite possible that her regular car insurance would pay for it but we don't have any way of knowing what liability her employer would have in that case. There's no way to take a hypothetical situation and determine exactly what would happen - there are too many variables.

Country Living

Another point of view.....

I understand from her posting she uses her personal car run these personal errands for a co-worker. I just don’t see why the company would be at risk should she be involved in an accident.
1. She’s running these errands because she’s uncomfortable with telling the co-worker “no”.
2. He’s not ordering her to run these errands.
3. She doesn't report to him.
4. Her job is not in jeopardy if she refuses.
5. She's running them at lunch, which is her own time.

However, **if** she is using any part of company time to run personal errands (without taking leave - she is non-exempt), that’s a misuse of company resources (time) and in most companies she would be subject to disciplinary action.

Paraphrasing Ann Landers old saying "you can't be a doormat unless you lay down and let people step on you." Tell the co-worker "no". And yes, it's as easy as that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">