• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving under DUI suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


helpful fiance

my fiance has two dui offeses, one in jan of 1998 and the 2nd in october of 99. his license was suspened for 1 year in october of 1999. he has recently completed is substance abuse program and the coordinator has summitted his discharge plan. on may 27, 2001, he was stopped at a seatbelt checkpoint and arrested for driving on a dui suspended license, first offense, improper tag, and no insurance. the officer told him if we would get the vehicle licensed and insured the judge would throw out the insurance issue. shouldn't the charge be no license because his suspension time was up and he had not received them back yet upon completion of the program. he still had his actual driver's license; the court did not take them. would it work if we licensed and registered the vehicle in my name since we are getting married in a few weeks anyway? please help me. he has worked so hard to get his life straightened out. he was not drinking at the time of the roadblock. he only went in the old farmtruck to get fencing materials for the 7 acres we just bought because i can not drive the truck, it's a stick. any help would be appreciated.



To: Helpful fiance.

You did not state where you are from. I can only tell you about Kansas Law. If your license is suspended for 1 year and a year has passed you do not automatically get it back. Also if during that year you kept you license it does not mean after the suspension you can just get in a vehicle and drive. What you have to do is get it reinstated. This is a fee that you pay to the DMV (the price varies). You also have to take a written and driving test and receive a brand new license. In Kansas after the suspension period is over the Dmv will send a letter to you (at the address on your license) stating. "Your license has been reinstated and you need to pay a reinstatement fee and take a written and driving test. If this is not done in 30 days then your license will be resuspended.

You might try to call the DMV and ask them what you need to do to get your fiances license reinstated (call information or look under Government pages in you phone book, they are usually located at the state capital)

Also if what I have stated to you is the same in your state and you did not receive a letter (at the address on the license) from the DMV. then you might get out on a technicality. (I was stopped for suspended one time, (I was suppose to send proof of insurance to the DMV), but the DMV sent the letter to the town I lived in, but to the P.O. Box where I had lived at 5 years previously. Therefore it was thrown out on a technicality).

I hope this helps.

Good Luck To You and Yours!
Congrats on the up coming wedding!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential