• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving under dui suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KLB1981

Hello, I reside in PA. recently I got pulled over an the cop said he pulled me over for driving under a dui suspension which I know I was. He was actually pretty cool, didn't give me a hard time, didn't impound the car and let my neighbor come pick me up and have someone drive the car home, this happened on Saturday May 16th, so I knew I had 10 days to respond so I contacted a few lawyers and found one to represent me, so Friday the 22nd I went to the post office to mailed out my not guilty plea and in my mail box was a letter from the magistrate saying they received my not guilty plea on sunday the 17th, which obviously they are closed and there is no mail delivery on sundays and they gave me a court date. So I can only imagine the officer put in for my not guilty plea, why would he do that.

single317dad

What day did you hire the lawyer? Maybe he's doing his job.

In many jurisdictions, for many criminal charges, a not guilty plea is entered automatically at the arraignment or initial hearing, which you may or may not have been present for.

You should ask your lawyer this question. Good luck.

KLB1981

I spoke with the lawyer 4 days after I got pulled over, didn't even pay her at that time, the officer even told me to make sure I respond or it would be an automatic guilty, the not guilty plea was submitted before I spoke with any lawyers and on a day the magistrate was closed which was the day after the citation was issued, so I can only assume the officer filed the not guilty plea, and I just wonder why he would do that

single317dad

I spoke with the lawyer 4 days after I got pulled over, didn't even pay her at that time, the officer even told me to make sure I respond or it would be an automatic guilty, the not guilty plea was submitted before I spoke with any lawyers and on a day the magistrate was closed which was the day after the citation was issued, so I can only assume the officer filed the not guilty plea, and I just wonder why he would do that
A police officer cannot enter a plea for you. You can, your attorney can, the court can in some instances, and sometimes it's done automatically. There may have been some place on the ticket you signed as pleading Not Guilty; I have no way of knowing that. At any rate, you can change your plea in the future and you have bigger issues to handle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">