• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving with a restricted license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

I will be driving under a restricted license in about 30 days.
I looked at the application for a restricted license and I see that I can go to work, dui class, and a medical appointment. I go to therapy once a week so I think I’m covered there.
What I’m wondering about is whether I’ll get in trouble for driving to my side jobs. I work for two different app based companies that provide dog walking and sitting services. If I’m pulled over while on my way to or from these services, will I be in violation of the terms of my license? Are these side jobs considered “work”?
Also, if the officer asks me to show proof on my phone that I am on my way to or from the person’s house for which I provided the service, will the officer make steps to provide further proof, say by calling the dog’s owner or contacting the companies? If that were to happen I would be terminated from those services and I cannot risk that.
Furthermore, I have a family friend that I house and dog sit for usually every Spring and Fall. Since I’m being paid for the house and dog sitting, is that still considered “work” and justifiable under my license restrictions?

adjusterjack

Work is work. How you document it for any given police officer is anybody's guess though I suggest you carry around some sort of paper documentation instead of relying on the phone. And if you get arrested or cited you'll have an opportunity in court to prove you were coming from, or going to, "work."

Meantime, don't do anything that'll get you pulled over. ;)

PayrollHRGuy

One thought. If any of these side gigs actually include driving as part of the actual work you will want to confirm that is allowed.

No driving as part of the actual work. Only to get to and from their homes. Unless they ask for pick up or drop off in which case I would just decline.

quincy

No driving as part of the actual work. Only to get to and from their homes. Unless they ask for pick up or drop off in which case I would just decline.
You need to list your jobs and these will be outlined as part of the restricted license program you are in.

Do you already have your SR 22 proof of insurance?

You need to list your jobs and these will be outlined as part of the restricted license program you are in.

Do you already have your SR 22 proof of insurance?
I haven’t filed it yet. I actually still have my temporary pink license for a few more days and my court date isn’t until Monday. I still have my 30 day suspension to look forward to, so I haven’t filed anything or enrolled in dui school yet. Just trying to figure out if I’ll still be able to do my “side gigs” on the restricted license.

quincy

I haven’t filed it yet. I actually still have my temporary pink license for a few more days and my court date isn’t until Monday. I still have my 30 day suspension to look forward to, so I haven’t filed anything or enrolled in dui school yet. Just trying to figure out if I’ll still be able to do my “side gigs” on the restricted license.
You have to have them approved (verified) and included as part of your restricted license DUI program.

With your DUI, you didn't refuse to be tested, did you?

You have to have them approved (verified) and included as part of your restricted license DUI program.

With your DUI, you didn't refuse to be tested, did you?
So they are going to contact my work and side jobs?
No, I didn’t refuse to be tested.

quincy

So they are going to contact my work and side jobs?
No, I didn’t refuse to be tested.
It is good that you didn't refuse testing. Refusals make you ineligible for a restricted license.

You will have to wait to see what conditions are imposed on you. Your work be verified, however.

You might want to request an ignition interlock device if you are concerned about job verification. The law in 2019 (in 4 counties in California) will permit restricted driving (after a 30 day suspension) if an ignition interlock device is installed.

Last edited:
It is good that you didn't refuse testing. Refusals make you ineligible for a restricted license.

You will have to wait to see what conditions are imposed on you. Your work be verified, however.

You might want to request an ignition interlock device if you are concerned about job verification. The law in 2019 (in 4 counties in California) will permit restricted driving (after a 30 day suspension) if an ignition interlock device is installed.
The county I live in and got my dui in don’t require an ignition interlock device.
I know that I will be required to state my employment on my application for the license, but I’m having a hard time believing that the courts have enough time to personally contact the employers of everyone that gets a dui.

quincy

The county I live in and got my dui in don’t require an ignition interlock device.
I know that I will be required to state my employment on my application for the license, but I’m having a hard time believing that the courts have enough time to personally contact the employers of everyone that gets a dui.
An interlock device might not be required but if you want to avoid reporting all of your jobs - or having people contacted for job verification - requesting that an interlock device be installed is a possibility to consider.

You can discuss this with your attorney.

And this is assuming your 30 day suspension passes without issue and you are granted a restricted license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">