• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropped case and violated other items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sapphirekay

This is in Hawaii. A lawyer I had hired, dropped me as a client after saying that he would file in court, missed deadlines/goal dates, asked me to send more money as this had to be paid immediately, etc, which I sent, without filing and than dropping me as a client. Because of the extent of the issue, did contact the departments that regulate the industry, but was told that it was out of their jurisdiction. I was given the option to find a lawyer to sue (discussed this with several lawyers, and no one wants to basically) or to bring it to the Ombudsman's office (though this again is complicated)...Is there any higher power that can audit/look into this?

quincy

This is in Hawaii. A lawyer I had hired, dropped me as a client after saying that he would file in court, missed deadlines/goal dates, asked me to send more money as this had to be paid immediately, etc, which I sent, without filing and than dropping me as a client. Because of the extent of the issue, did contact the departments that regulate the industry, but was told that it was out of their jurisdiction. I was given the option to find a lawyer to sue (discussed this with several lawyers, and no one wants to basically) or to bring it to the Ombudsman's office (though this again is complicated)...Is there any higher power that can audit/look into this?
Here is a link to the Hawaii State Bar Association's frequently asked questions, which includes information on how to handle fee disputes and how to file a complaint against an attorney:

http://hsba.org/HSBA/FAQs/HSBA/FAQ.aspx?hkey=96cd8b11-4dc2-43c3-81c6-793f8316ce60

Good luck.

quincy

This thread seems to be only about the lawyer(s). The other thread is about the case (I think :)). But I agree that the other thread is a better one to use from now on to address the concerns Sapphirekay has.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">