• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropping an accident lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anjou

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My son was in an accident 8 yrs ago- a driver slammed into the car his girlfriend was driving, the guy was supposedly asleep at the wheel. They were advised by their manager (they are in a band) to sue the guy. Nothing came of it- and they withdrew from their counsel. I think he missed a letter while on tour and now another letter has come needing a written response to Rule to show cause re: defendants motion for judgement of Non Pros (a rule returnable is scheduled for Jan 22, 2019). So what does this letter need to say and does he need a lawyer to write it? I am a PA notary so I can notarize it. But we do not really understand the implications of this. Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My son was in an accident 8 yrs ago- a driver slammed into the car his girlfriend was driving, the guy was supposedly asleep at the wheel. They were advised by their manager (they are in a band) to sue the guy. Nothing came of it- and they withdrew from their counsel. I think he missed a letter while on tour and now another letter has come needing a written response to Rule to show cause re: defendants motion for judgement of Non Pros (a rule returnable is scheduled for Jan 22, 2019). So what does this letter need to say and does he need a lawyer to write it? I am a PA notary so I can notarize it. But we do not really understand the implications of this. Thank you!
As a notary, I'm going to address part of your post and let others address the other part. WHY would you notarize a document such as this for your son? A notarization is cheap. Keep it at arms length! I understand that there is no immediately obvious reason that you couldn't notarize it...but why even run the risk of problems in the future?

Anjou

As a notary, I'm going to address part of your post and let others address the other part. WHY would you notarize a document such as this for your son? A notarization is cheap. Keep it at arms length! I understand that there is no immediately obvious reason that you couldn't notarize it...but why even run the risk of problems in the future?
This is true- I am not immediately involved so I can notarize- but maybe we should use another! Thank you!

adjusterjack

If your son was injured and wants to pursue compensation for his injuries, he should get in touch with the lawyer who originally filed the lawsuit.

If he would rather just drop the matter he can ignore that paperwork and the court will just dismiss the lawsuit at the request of the defendant.

Anjou

That is good to hear! He does want to drop the case. I wish they could have mentioned this in the letter! (All of the terminology was so foreign to us). I thank you for your weighing in on this! Have a pleasant evening!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">