• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drove into an apartment complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsavchuk

Hello Everyone. I live in Washington state. Yesterday, as I was pulling into my parking spot, I mixed up the pedals and drove into an apartment building. It was pretty bad, the building frame is damaged. I was able to get out of the car through the passenger door, because the driver door was stuck in the building. Everyone inside was ok, and no injuries. I have some minor injuries, cut arm and swallen hand(possibly a cracked bone). Also, the parking spot that I was pulling into, did not have any wheel stoppers, no curb or anything, does this change anything? So, I don't know what it's called, but my insurance only covers then other parties damage as far as I know. Like, if I hit a vehicles, they would repair that vehicle , but not mine. So what happens in this scenario? Should I use my health insurance or car insurance to get medical help? Will my car be replaced? Any advice, information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello Everyone. I live in Washington state. Yesterday, as I was pulling into my parking spot, I mixed up the pedals and drove into an apartment building. It was pretty bad, the building frame is damaged. I was able to get out of the car through the passenger door, because the driver door was stuck in the building. Everyone inside was ok, and no injuries. I have some minor injuries, cut arm and swallen hand(possibly a cracked bone). Also, the parking spot that I was pulling into, did not have any wheel stoppers, no curb or anything, does this change anything? So, I don't know what it's called, but my insurance only covers then other parties damage as far as I know. Like, if I hit a vehicles, they would repair that vehicle , but not mine. So what happens in this scenario? Should I use my health insurance or car insurance to get medical help? Will my car be replaced? Any advice, information will be appreciated. Thank you.
No, the lack of a forward stop on the spot doesn't absolve you of the responsibility to NOT drive in to the side of a building. You will have to check your insurance coverage to see if it will cover medical, but I suspect you don't have that type of coverage, so you'll end up using your medical coverage. Your car will only be repaired or replaced when/if you repair/replace it.

Just Blue

How old are you? How long have you been driving?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also suggest that you participate in some additional driver training.

zddoodah

Yesterday, as I was pulling into my parking spot, I mixed up the pedals and drove into an apartment building.
How much alcohol had you consumed (or how much of whatever other substance had you consumed)?

It was pretty bad, the building frame is damaged
How hard are you accustomed to pressing the brake pedal such that, by pressing the accelerator instead, you did this much damage?

Also, the parking spot that I was pulling into, did not have any wheel stoppers, no curb or anything, does this change anything?
No.

So, I don't know what it's called, but my insurance only covers then other parties damage as far as I know. Like, if I hit a vehicles, they would repair that vehicle , but not mine.
I think what you're saying is that you have liability coverage but not collision coverage.

So what happens in this scenario?
Depends on the extent of your liability coverage. Your liability insurer will pay for the damages resulting from your negligence up to the limits of your policy. Hopefully you have more than the $10,000 minimum property damage coverage that the law requires because it sounds like you did more than $10,000 in damage. If you don't have sufficient liability coverage, then the owner of the apartment will expect you to pay for the damage in excess of your coverage.

Should I use my health insurance or car insurance to get medical help?
Does your auto policy include medical payments coverage? If not, then your auto policy will be of no use to you.

Will my car be replaced?
Since you apparently did not have collision coverage, it will be up to you to pay to repair or replace your car.

quincy

lsavchuk, you did not mention what type of car you were driving. Could you please tell us the brand and age of your vehicle? Thanks.

What drives my question is your comment that the accident occurred because you “mixed up the pedals.”

lsavchuk

lsavchuk, you did not mention what type of car you were driving. Could you please tell us the brand and age of your vehicle? Thanks.

What drives my question is your comment that the accident occurred because you “mixed up the pedals.”
It was a 2013 Honda fit, automatic transmission. I was not under any kind of influence. I definitely thought I was pressing the brake, my first reaction was that the brakes gave out and I couldn't stop. There was quite a bit of distance between the parking spot and the building. But now on a fresh head I'm thinking I might've been pressing the wrong pedal.

quincy

It was a 2013 Honda fit, automatic transmission. I was not under any kind of influence. I definitely thought I was pressing the brake, my first reaction was that the brakes gave out and I couldn't stop. There was quite a bit of distance between the parking spot and the building. But now on a fresh head I'm thinking I might've been pressing the wrong pedal.
There was one vehicle brand that was recalled a few years ago because the brake and accelerator were placed too close together, resulting in several accidents when drivers mistook one pedal for another. I don’t know if it was a Honda, though. I will check.*

*Edit to add: There were numerous reports of sudden acceleration in older Toyotas that resulted in a massive recall of these vehicles and a $1.2 billion settlement, and poor pedal placement (brake and accelerator too close together) led to an additional recall of Toyota Camrys - but I saw nothing that showed 2013 Honda’s had any similar issues (although there have been a handful of reports in some newer Honda’s that could be explained as driver error).

You might want to check out manufacturer vehicle defects, though, if you believe your foot was on the brake and not the accelerator.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Also, the parking spot that I was pulling into, did not have any wheel stoppers, no curb or anything, does this change anything?
No, you are still liable for the damage to the building.

So, I don't know what it's called, but my insurance only covers then other parties damage as far as I know.
It's called Liability Insurance. Your insurance company will pay for the damage to the building.

Should I use my health insurance or car insurance to get medical help?
Check your policy. Auto insurance often includes Medical Payments Coverage. If you have it, use it. If not, then use your medical insurance.

Will my car be replaced?
Again, check your policy. Do you have collision coverage? If you do, your damaged car will be be covered either to repair or replace. If you don't have collision coverage, then you are on your own with regard to the car damage.

FlyingRon

Mixing up the pedals isn't uncommon. In fact, it is pretty much recognized as the actual occurrence in a lot of the "uncommanded acceleration" crashes. People swear they are standing on the brake, but they are on the gas. Even with a wide open throttle, standing on the brakes should stop you or slow you down substantially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">