• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drowning in debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dyjysyjw

What is the name of your state? ky

help! i have a few questions:

1) i have a wage garnishment for a hospital bill against me, but i'm not working outside the home. What can they do next?

2) there is a chapter 7 bankruptcy on my credit, due to my ex-husband and shared debts (this was 2 years ago) .... can i still file chapter 13?

3)my husband has everything in his name; house, checking account, etc.... if he was not my husband at the time of the debt, can they still attach his earnings?

thanks for your help!!!!

Ladynred

1 - What can they do next ?? Well, they could attach your bank account(s), place a lien on property, sieze property (although there are exemptions as to what they can take), or they could wait until you DO get a job and then garnish those wages.

2 - Did YOU file for bankruptcy with your ex or was this just HIS bk and the shared debts show on your credit report ? If YOU didn't file with your ex, then you, personally, can still file for Chapter 7, your ex's filing would have no bearing on you as an individual.

3 - NO. They cannot garnish HIS wages for YOUR debts. There are some joint responsibilities for marital debts in a community proprety state (and I don't think KY is one of them). If the debts you want to file BK on are ONLY in your name, then nothing will affect your husband unless and until you were to try for some joint accounts.

D

dyjysyjw

If i do file chapter 13, can i include the wage garnishment in there or is it too late?

JETX

Once you file, send notice of the filing to the court and ask that they vacate the judgment. Once the judgment is gone, then the garnishment will go also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">