• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Charges for YO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tennantisfamily

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My 18 yr old (only by 1 week) was arrested w/ hash oil.. and put in holding center for 2 days.(apparently a lot of it) no idea what to expect to come out of this whole thing. been told that he will be tried as youthful offender.. wondering how this will all end.. the waiting is killing me. any advice?

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
My 18 yr old (only by 1 week) was arrested w/ hash oil.. and put in holding center for 2 days.(apparently a lot of it) no idea what to expect to come out of this whole thing. been told that he will be tried as youthful offender.. wondering how this will all end.. the waiting is killing me. any advice?
Well, since your child is an adult, you have really NO involvement in this process. The best thing you can do is help your son attain an attorney. While the arresting officer may have said youthful offender, you shouldn't rely on legal advice from the police. If he is brought under the youthful offender program, there will still be more time that goes by. This doesn't happen for your convenience. There will be an arraignment and then a presentence investigation. Note that the YO program doesn't mean he's just going to waltz out of the court a free man. Jail is STILL possible. Probation is almost certain. It will cost MONEY. All YO status means is that he won't end up with a criminal record over this.

commentator

Ah, but that's so hard when you have a child...who turned 18 last week. It's time for the "stand trial as an adult" lecture. The best thing for you to do is, if they don't have a lengthy history of being in trouble as a youth, is help them get an attorney. It would be ideal if your son could launch on his adult life without a criminal record. If this is the end of a long string of offenses he had as a juvenile, frankly, the monkey lecture may apply. People at some point become responsible for themselves. If they have addiction issues, they can be a black hole for their parent or anyone who loves them. Make sure your son gets some drug counseling. This is more productive than agonizing about it all.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">