• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donker7d

I was recently caught with a small amount of marijuana and a pipe , I cooperated with the cop and recieved a ticket to appear in court but not arrested. I went on my court date and was informed that I was not charged at the present time and if I was I would be notified by mail. My question is what does this mean?? If I wasnt charged does that indicate that I possible wont be? is there a statue of limitations for this that will make it void if charges arent made? do I sit here and just wonder? please help in makeing this situation a bit clearer thanks - mj

W

Watch My Dust

Hey, almost the exact thing just happened to me, so I have basically the same question with just a couple variations. I was arrested for having a pipe and a small amount of pot but I wasn't taken to jail - the cop let me leave the scene and said I'd receive something in the mail. I'm wondering what this means?? I am also a minor (17) so this might make a difference. What is likely to happen to me? Thanks...and hey, donker, I'm in the same boat, so take it easy :)

T

Tracey

Yes, they may decide not to charge you. Or they may hold onto the charge & hit you with it if you screw up again. Then you'll have TWO drug charges & get jail time. Don't get caught again.

Dusty: the cop may decide to mail you the ticket any time between now & when the statute of limitations runs out.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

W

Watch My Dust

So the cop sends me the ticket? How long is a statute of limitations...or even better, where can I find info about the statute of limitations? I looked under state statutes on this site and couldn't find anything. But maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, not sure. Thanks again :)

~ "Dusty"

W

Watch My Dust

So the cop sends me the ticket? How long is a statute of limitations...or even better, where can I find info about the statute of limitations? I looked under state statutes on this site and couldn't find anything. But maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, not sure. Thanks again :)

~ "Dusty"

H

HLS

Now that the police have caught you with a small amount of pot and a pipe you need to be extremely careful. They can go through your garbage, set you up with "confidential informants" etc. Believe me they can do this If you are not careful and leave even a "baggie" that appears to have scraps of pot in them, they can use your recent situation with the small amount of pot and pipe, along with the "baggie" they took out of your garbage and could possibly get a search warrant for your house. The reason you haven't been arrested could possibly that they are investigating you to get you on something "bigger". Be Careful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">