• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Testing during an insurance physical?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twoaggs

During a life insurance qualifying physical exam can an insurance company test for illegal drugs?

I am in Texas.

Last edited:

ALawyer

Yes -- that is one of the many reasons why they test -- and if you turn up positive, they won't insure you. Nor should they as you are a MUCH higher risk that the general population if you do drugs -- legal or illegal.

T

twoaggs

Not what I was told

It is my understanding that they check for nicotine and do basic blood and urine workups. The reason why I asked was that I did sign a consent form for a HIV testing but nothing for any drug screens.

D

don62

I believe there are laws in place where they are required to obtain consent for HIV testing but not for drugs (legal or illegal), nicotine, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">