• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DSHS lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

verna01

What is the name of your state? Washington. My brother recently had a major stroke. He was unemployed at the time with no health insurance. I am trying to build a new home with a mother-in-law apartment on my property. DSHS will have a lien on my brother upon his death. If he dies before I do, will I have to pay off his lien, or will it transfer to me upon my death? He owns a house, which DSHS said he can sell and put the equity into another home or share a home with me.

seniorjudge

Why would you think you would have to pay off someone else's lien?

Does brother own real estate?

Can you clarify your question?

verna01

My brother owns a home right now. It is paid off. He lives so far away from me, it's hard to care for him. I'm in the process of buying a piece of land to build my house and also a mother-in-law house for him. DSHS said I could roll his money over to the new place on MY land, but he will have a lien placed on him upon his death. My question is...what happens to that lien, since he's on my property? Would it roll over to me?

HomeGuru

verna01 said:
My brother owns a home right now. It is paid off. He lives so far away from me, it's hard to care for him. I'm in the process of buying a piece of land to build my house and also a mother-in-law house for him. DSHS said I could roll his money over to the new place on MY land, but he will have a lien placed on him upon his death. My question is...what happens to that lien, since he's on my property? Would it roll over to me?

**A: the lien would be attached to your property. So do not put him on title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">