• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dual Billing for Municipal Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BehindThe8Ball

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Our City had now combined our Water& Sewer bill with Trash Collection charges that are no longer covered in our property tax bills. I'm unemployed/unemployable, no income, and have qualified for some financial assistance thru Liheap for utility bills, plus food stamps. My Question is "does a city have the right to disconnect BOTH utilities when one cannot be met?" They will charge me $50 for late penalty if the entire bill is not paid on time.
I've called both utility clerks and neither will help me with this. Upon calling the city clerk, I was told 'any amount you pay will FIRST go to Trash Collection, and this then puts me in default for water which they tell me they WILL disconnect, Charge me the $50 late penalty plus a 'hefty' reconnection fee if and when I CAN come up with the money.

Do they have a legal right to choose by their own "ordinance" to NOT apply the funds to my water bill in order to collect on both? Is there any recourse I have that allows me to stop the trash collection rather than the water? Has any court ruled on such a situation as this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think they're doing it wrong. It seems to me that they should stop ALL services when bills are outstanding.

BehindThe8Ball

??

TY Zigner but you've confused me...

Example... Water bill is $50 per billing cycle , Trash collection is $50 per billing cycle. I send in the $50 and ask that it's applied to the Water bill as it is 'life neccesary' and I can JUST make that kind of payout, the City has the right to NOT apply it to Water, rather to Trash collections and put me in default on a utility to both and suspend both? I have no issues with taking my own trash for disposal yet they won't allow me out of the pay/service contract.
I do not have the option to hire my own trash removal company either. (Senior who lives alone and generates merely 1 plastic grocery bag per week of refuse)
To pay $15/week for one bag is a bit pricey I'd think you'd agree)

I'm certain in "reasoning" that this practice has to have been challenged and found to be unlawful for a municipality to pick and choose ergo extort funds by threat of cutting off one's water supply. Something's wrong with the picture.

My question therefore stands is it legal for them to NOT apply the funds to the one I intend to pay against by their merely combining both on one bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">