• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duck Blind erected without property owners' permission.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
State: NY
I discovered today a permanent duck blind on family property while mowing. The property is on a river, next to a public boat ramp, and has water rights. There have been no permits pulled to erect anything on the waterfront. (It's Long Island. You need a permit for almost everything. There is a "No Trespassing" sign by the boat ramp.)

The person who erected it camouflaged it, so that it was not easily seen from the yard. It is in the phragmites (reeds) by the river, but above the median high water line; I could access it on foot at high tide without getting wet. In garden clogs, no less. It is large enough that my kid thought someone could be living in it! I have confirmed with the town that we are within our rights to remove it.

The person who placed the duck blind there did not ask the owners for permission, and in fact has his own No Trespassing signs on it! With his contact information on it!!

I have contacted the person by phone to inform him that it needs to be removed.
1) I assume that this should be followed up with a letter.
2) Should I file a police report?
3) What is a reasonable time to expect this to be removed?

Small wonder my hens don't lay during duck hunting season. It makes it really tempting to get ducks... (Illegal to hunt within 1,000 ft of domesticated ducks.)

Any suggestions, other than getting ducks? (They *are* cute.)

justalayman

If the op and owner agreed to the blind being there until some date it is to be removed, it is no longer a trespass. The discussion op has with the owner would have to be known to determine if a trespass still exists.

quincy

State: NY
I discovered today a permanent duck blind on family property while mowing. The property is on a river, next to a public boat ramp, and has water rights. There have been no permits pulled to erect anything on the waterfront. (It's Long Island. You need a permit for almost everything. There is a "No Trespassing" sign by the boat ramp.)

The person who erected it camouflaged it, so that it was not easily seen from the yard. It is in the phragmites (reeds) by the river, but above the median high water line; I could access it on foot at high tide without getting wet. In garden clogs, no less. It is large enough that my kid thought someone could be living in it! I have confirmed with the town that we are within our rights to remove it.

The person who placed the duck blind there did not ask the owners for permission, and in fact has his own No Trespassing signs on it! With his contact information on it!!

I have contacted the person by phone to inform him that it needs to be removed.
1) I assume that this should be followed up with a letter.
2) Should I file a police report?
3) What is a reasonable time to expect this to be removed?

Small wonder my hens don't lay during duck hunting season. It makes it really tempting to get ducks... (Illegal to hunt within 1,000 ft of domesticated ducks.)

Any suggestions, other than getting ducks? (They *are* cute.)
Your follow-up letter can give the duck blind owner a deadline for removal of the blind.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
So, what was the guys response?
"Um. OK."

(I didn't belabor it. I just verified that I was talking to the correct person and stated, "You have a duck blind at [address]. It needs to go.")

I heard nylon catches fire pretty well.
Unfortunately, we're talking pressure treated wood. It's well built, very solid.

Being a long weekend, I'll wait until Tuesday and talk to code enforcement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">