• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI and Security Clearance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crafter Man

Ohio

I am a 38-year old engineer. I work in the R&D department at a local university.

I was arrested for DUI on 29-Aug-05. I (finally) went to court on 17-Nov-05, and they reduced the charges to Having physical control of vehicle while under influence (ORC § 4511.194). (This is is not a DUI, but it is still alcohol-related.) I pled guilty to this lesser charge based on my attorney's recommendation.

Pretty soon - perhaps as early as February 2006 - I might get transferred to a different position at my employer. As a government contractor, this position will be at a local Air Force Base, and it requires a security clearance. (I am not sure what level - probably Confidential.) I am absolutely worried sick that I will be denied the clearance when I reveal my alcohol-related conviction on the form.

Have any of you been in a similar situation? Remember, this occured just three months ago, and the case ended just last week. Is there any hope I'll get a clearance so soon? The court mandated that I attend a 2-day "alcohol awareness class." Will that be enough to satisfy the investigator that I don't have an alcohol problem? Or should I also start attending AA meetings?

For the record, this is the only criminal offense on my record (other than a couple speeding tickets). And trust me, it will be my last. In addition, my credit is excellent, and I have never taken an illegal drug.

I stay awake at night worrying about this. Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Q: Or should I also start attending AA meetings?

A: If you have to ask this on an internet forum, then I would guess the answer is yes.

Crafter Man

seniorjudge said:
Q: Or should I also start attending AA meetings?

A: If you have to ask this on an internet forum, then I would guess the answer is yes.
I understand your point. But I was hoping other people who have been in a similar circumstance (i.e. attempting to get a security clearance w/ an alcohol offense on their record) could weigh in.

If this is the only bad thing you have done and there aren't a bunch of people who are going to say you are a heavy drinker when they do interviews of friends/family then you will be fine.

lilspenny

I had a Top Secret security clearance for a while and knew people in this situation. First off, a secret is pretty easy to get with a DUI - no worries. For a Top Secret, they want to know that you're not an alchoholic. 1 DUI by itself doesn't mean you are an alchoholic, but it doesn't mean that you are not either. Could go either way, but talk to your references and make sure that the FBI investigators aren't going to hear stories about all those times you played anchor man and drank everyone under the table and so on.
And, while I understand the benefits of AA and therapy and you might need them, being totally honest with everyone right now might not be the best thing for you. You made a mistake - by the AA standard you might be an alchoholic and you may have to say that, but again, you don't want to be an alchoholic as in "the alchoholic who stays at the bar til closing every night", even if that is in fact who you are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">