• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI CA Exemption from Ignition Interlock Device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mreyes90

What is the name of your state? California

I was charged with a misdemeanor DUI about three years ago. My car which was under my parents name was sold immediately after the accident. I haven't had access to a vehicle in the last 3 years nor have I driven even though per the DMV I was to have an ignition interlock device installed for 5 months. I was forced to move out and did not receive my letter for application for exemption for the IID within the 30 days given to me to apply. I lived so close to work I did not need a car until now. My question is, since it has been so long since I have had my license and haven't driven a motor vehicle in 3 years, will I still need to install an interlock device in my new car?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California

I was charged with a misdemeanor DUI about three years ago. My car which was under my parents name was sold immediately after the accident. I haven't had access to a vehicle in the last 3 years nor have I driven even though per the DMV I was to have an ignition interlock device installed for 5 months. I was forced to move out and did not receive my letter for application for exemption for the within the 30 days given to me to apply. I lived so close to work I did not need a car until now. My question is, since it has been so long since I have had my license and haven't driven a motor vehicle in 3 years, will I still need to install an interlock device in my new car?
Ask the DMV.

mreyes90

Ask the DMV.
Due to COVID, it is nearly impossible to reach the Mandatory action unit or the DMV call center. I'm reaching out by other means so I can see what options are available to me and If there are certain forms I can prepare.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Due to COVID, it is nearly impossible to reach the Mandatory action unit or the DMV call center. I'm reaching out by other means so I can see what options are available to me and If there are certain forms I can prepare.
Keep trying...

mreyes90

Here's the statute:

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-code/veh-sect-23575-3.html

Does your driver's license have the IID restriction on it?

My License was taken at the time of the dui and per the courts decision it was only suspended for 30 days. In order for me to get my license back per the DMV I was required to have the IID put in for 5 months. I did not have a vehicle for 3 years so I never received my license. I was given a car by a family member recently and now I am trying to get all my ducks in order and currently sent the application for my license online through the DMV portal. I just want to know since it has been so long since I have had my license and been without a vehicle if I would still have to install the IID or would they take the lapse of non driving into consideration for my application for a new license. My form for the exemption of the IID got to me late since I moved away at the time of the dui from my parents house so I was out of bounds from the 30 days of notice.

PayrollHRGuy

When you receive your license you will likely know the answer. Because I'm pretty sure CA puts a restriction on the license.

But keep trying to contact them.

Last edited:

quincy

Yes my first
There probably will be a flag on your license and you will need to satisfy the driver’s license restriction (the IID) first. Not driving for 3 years generally will not satisfy a driving with an IID requirement in most states.

FlyingRon

On your first, I think after six months you are free to try to get an unrestricted license in California. You probably still have to jump through reinstatement hoops ($).

GuyInNC

You might consider a consultation with an attorney who knows this end of the process (not all attorneys who deal with DUI's fall in the category in my limited experience). It could be an hour and a bit of money well spent in your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">