• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI -> Failed Breathalyzer -> DIP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I know things here don't sound too good.. but that's why I've decided to ask for advice.

Last year, in December, I was arrested and charged with a DUI. I took a plea deal package with the basic DUI charge...ASAP / suspended license / probation. Things were going well: I was tackling all of my requirements, got my license back (with an interlock device), and all that good stuff.

Some couple of months later, I went to a party and ended up drinking (for the first time since the DUI). No plans to drive.. but when our rental house was kicking us out the next day (a full 18 hours after I had stopped drinking) and I had to move my car down to the beach. I didn't think it would be an issue, but I blew positive. ASAP sent me back to court for violating terms of my DUI probation.

During court, my lawyer helped me out.. essentially the court had no idea what I had done wrong, they just heard from ASAP that I had violated my terms of probation. My lawyer managed to get me back into my ASAP classes where I left off and ASAP assigned me a new out-patient alcohol program. The judge ordered me to come back this coming December to prove that I had met the terms of my probation.

Last night, I drove some friends out to a small concert (I have been their DD a lot throughout all of this). We got to the concert, did the meet greet thing with everyone there, and then I ended up having a few drinks (as the placed was packed and it was a very good band); no plans to drive home, as we had all agreed that I could use a drink at this point and decided to get a cab.

I went outside to smoke and saw a couple (very intoxicated) arguing about driving home. I stood there for a while convincing them not to as I had experienced it and was still going through the process. In the end, they pretty much told me to **** off and said that they were going for it. I followed them around the corner trying to talk some sense into them at which point the girl ran up to a police car and told the officer I was following and threatening them.

I relayed to the officer that I had no problem, that I was just trying to give some advice, he waved them off (but I thought he was waving all of us off) so I turned around and started walking with the couple back to the club. He yelled out "I wasn't done with you, pretty boy" in a derogatory tone and I made the mistake of replying back with "go **** yourself" and continued walking. Needless to say, I was thrown against the car, arrested, etc. I did not resist in the slightest (other than refusing a breathalyzer as I knew it's not a requirement) and kept my mouth shut until the mistreatment back at the jail. The charge was for Drunk In Public (DIP). I denied having had any drinks.

I was not visibly drunk at this point and was doing well at keeping my composure and was silent.. until the mistreatment, verbal abuse, and threats came. I did not resist though the officers and I threw back verbal slander (room of 4 officers) and another guy being arrested. One of my remarks caused the officer to grab me by the collar, drag me up out of my seat and to the middle of the room as he was screaming and threatening physical harm; he literally had to be talked down by myself "Don't do this man, you're already in trouble at this point" and his fellow officers "Hey, xxx, go easy.. let it go". He eventually let me go, but things were super awkward and silent after that.

I understand that I was in the wrong for drinking and violating my terms of probation.. but it seems fairly obvious that this is not a fair DIP charge and was more of a "I pissed off the officer".

I need advice on how to handle the situation. My lawyer has always been good to me but after all of this DUI stuff, hiring him twice, ASAP, out patient classes, constant drug tests, breathalyzer, etc. I simply don't want to give this guy any more money (and quite honestly can't afford to). This entire scenario has cost me a ~$15,000 now and I simply cannot let it go any higher.

I do know if I plead guilty to this, I'm going to face more consequences. I truly am on the last line here.. I cannot afford to miss any more work, take any more out patient classes, and I sure as hell don't want to serve the jail time that's hanging over my head.

As for the drinking, it has been well established through my AA classes, a couple personal therapy sessions, and my outpatient classes that I do not have a problem with alcohol. The consensus from these professionals is that I just went overboard. However, I do have a problem with following the rules and I don't want to the court to see that.

As per this post over a year ago, I was arrested for a DIP after sleeping off a true drunk (notably intoxicated) in my car: https://forum.freeadvice.com/drunk-driving-dui-dwi-27/public-intoxication-assaulted-car-impounded-need-help-594741.html ..so that's another negative strike against me.

In addition, these "case managers" at ASAP are of no help. I've been assigned to three different ones (no idea who my current one is) without ever requesting to be switched. I've not been able to get in touch with one via the phone but guess I will have to drive down and force one to talk to me.

My question is.. do I tell anyone about this? Or, possibly, is there a some kind of way I can stall the outcome of this charge until after December 9th to avoid the conflict of court?

Last edited:

Cyno

Conditions of Supervision paper that I have signed states that I must report any new arrests related to drugs or alcohol within 5 days.

I may take that time to at least consult with a lawyer rather than trying to retain one to ensure I have proper guidance before I "officially" tell anyone.

TigerD

1. You seriously need to talk to your attorney.
2. Seriously - talk to your attorney.
3. Quit drinking. You have a problem with alcohol.
4. Failure to comply with the terms of your probation will go very bad.

It is time that you think about an in-house treatment program. You are facing severe consequences and in dire need of an attorney.

DC

Indiana Filer

The fact that you continue to have legal problems related to alcohol consumption, especially while under supervision, indicates that you do have substance abuse issues that need to be treated. Your drinking is obviously out of control since you have gotten in trouble again and again.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I know things here don't sound too good.. but that's why I've decided to ask for advice.

Last year, in December, I was arrested and charged with a DUI. I took a plea deal package with the basic DUI charge...ASAP / suspended license / probation. Things were going well: I was tackling all of my requirements, got my license back (with an interlock device), and all that good stuff.

Some couple of months later, I went to a party and ended up drinking (for the first time since the DUI). No plans to drive.. but when our rental house was kicking us out the next day (a full 18 hours after I had stopped drinking) and I had to move my car down to the beach. I didn't think it would be an issue, but I blew positive. ASAP sent me back to court for violating terms of my DUI probation.

During court, my lawyer helped me out.. essentially the court had no idea what I had done wrong, they just heard from ASAP that I had violated my terms of probation. My lawyer managed to get me back into my ASAP classes where I left off and ASAP assigned me a new out-patient alcohol program. The judge ordered me to come back this coming December to prove that I had met the terms of my probation.

Last night, I drove some friends out to a small concert (I have been their DD a lot throughout all of this). We got to the concert, did the meet greet thing with everyone there, and then I ended up having a few drinks (as the placed was packed and it was a very good band); no plans to drive home, as we had all agreed that I could use a drink at this point and decided to get a cab.

I went outside to smoke and saw a couple (very intoxicated) arguing about driving home. I stood there for a while convincing them not to as I had experienced it and was still going through the process. In the end, they pretty much told me to **** off and said that they were going for it. I followed them around the corner trying to talk some sense into them at which point the girl ran up to a police car and told the officer I was following and threatening them.

I relayed to the officer that I had no problem, that I was just trying to give some advice, he waved them off (but I thought he was waving all of us off) so I turned around and started walking with the couple back to the club. He yelled out "I wasn't done with you, pretty boy" in a derogatory tone and I made the mistake of replying back with "go **** yourself" and continued walking. Needless to say, I was thrown against the car, arrested, etc. I did not resist in the slightest (other than refusing a breathalyzer as I knew it's not a requirement) and kept my mouth shut until the mistreatment back at the jail. The charge was for Drunk In Public (DIP). I denied having had any drinks.

I was not visibly drunk at this point and was doing well at keeping my composure and was silent.. until the mistreatment, verbal abuse, and threats came. I did not resist though the officers and I threw back verbal slander (room of 4 officers) and another guy being arrested. One of my remarks caused the officer to grab me by the collar, drag me up out of my seat and to the middle of the room as he was screaming and threatening physical harm; he literally had to be talked down by myself "Don't do this man, you're already in trouble at this point" and his fellow officers "Hey, xxx, go easy.. let it go". He eventually let me go, but things were super awkward and silent after that.

I understand that I was in the wrong for drinking and violating my terms of probation.. but it seems fairly obvious that this is not a fair DIP charge and was more of a "I pissed off the officer".

I need advice on how to handle the situation. My lawyer has always been good to me but after all of this DUI stuff, hiring him twice, ASAP, out patient classes, constant drug tests, breathalyzer, etc. I simply don't want to give this guy any more money (and quite honestly can't afford to). This entire scenario has cost me a ~$15,000 now and I simply cannot let it go any higher.

I do know if I plead guilty to this, I'm going to face more consequences. I truly am on the last line here.. I cannot afford to miss any more work, take any more out patient classes, and I sure as hell don't want to serve the jail time that's hanging over my head.

As for the drinking, it has been well established through my AA classes, a couple personal therapy sessions, and my outpatient classes that I do not have a problem with alcohol. The consensus from these professionals is that I just went overboard. However, I do have a problem with following the rules and I don't want to the court to see that.

As per this post over a year ago, I was arrested for a DIP after sleeping off a true drunk (notably intoxicated) in my car: https://forum.freeadvice.com/drunk-driving-dui-dwi-27/public-intoxication-assaulted-car-impounded-need-help-594741.html ..so that's another negative strike against me.

In addition, these "case managers" at ASAP are of no help. I've been assigned to three different ones (no idea who my current one is) without ever requesting to be switched. I've not been able to get in touch with one via the phone but guess I will have to drive down and force one to talk to me.

My question is.. do I tell anyone about this? Or, possibly, is there a some kind of way I can stall the outcome of this charge until after December 9th to avoid the conflict of court?

recap:

You told an officer to copulate with himself.
You couldn't keep your mouth shut after arrest.
You have had numerous legal issue due to alcohol.

And yet, you still deny having any addiction issues with alcohol???

Hun? You need to STOP drinking, period. There is no "I deserve a drink". There is no, "I just don't like to follow rules." You HAVE an addiction issues and you are refusing to see that!

One does not have to be drunk or under the influence all the time to have addiction issues. You are in denial. (And you need to learn to shut your mouth when dealing with law enforcement!!)

Cyno

@Ladyback1:
I think there's a big difference between denial and having been evaluated by multiple, government-assigned personnel who agree that no addiction exists. Drinking twice since my DUI has not seemed to trigger an alert with any of these professionals (though I did manage to get caught by the law in doing so) and I was honest with them through the entire process as these classes and meetings really did make me question myself.

Whether or not you feel I am an addict is subjective; it is obvious, however, that drinking is making my situation worse and that I need to cut it out until this entire probationary period is over to avoid from making my life worse. I see it now.. but it's one of those things that came a bit too late at this point. I figured there was no way having a few drinks was going to have such an outcome.

Denial of drinking to the officers was to save myself from any admission of guilt. I'm not trying to deny that I did anything wrong.. I drank, even though I knew it was wrong, and then got myself in a situation where people thought I was harassing them (though I was truthfully trying to keep them from being in the same situation as myself).

I'm pretty sure that jailing me, causing me to lose my job, etc., etc. isn't going to give me any incentive in the matter. I do have a problem with authority and having my hand forced. My ASAP teacher told the class that we are all adults and can drink when we want, but to keep an eye on ourselves to ensure that it wasn't in excess. I felt I was doing this; I drank moderately and had a stiff plan of action for a cab--all to avoid the same mistakes I have made in the past. There's no doubt I'm freaking out, regretting my decisions, and taking any forward movement I can to avoid it from happening again.

I came here for legal advice on how to avoid those things that are severely going to cripple my life all over a couple of drinks... and, unfortunately, I don't think telling the judge that I'm an alcohol addict is going to help me any.

I have requested a consultation with my lawyer over this incident before I have to inform ASAP of the arrest. I will keep my eye on this post throughout the ordeal for any new hopeful, legal advice.

@debtcollector`
I do not know what "in-home treatment" involves.. however, I am not against any additional treatment to avoid jail time as long as it doesn't severely hinder my time at work. I work a good 50-65 hours/week and my boss is pretty much my only support through all of this as she has enabled me to take off a good number of days.

I cannot afford to push more time off work and most of these places I have found don't offer classes/treatment on weekends. I have all of my bills and such paid off; but, I have no extra money at this point. Retaining this lawyer to defend me will put me in the hole quite a bit and would be a waste if there's no hope in keeping me out of jail.

Is there any hope of getting my DIP charge dropped or lowered to something like Disturbing the Peace? Will taking additional AA classes help my case any?

Last edited:

TigerD

@debtcollector`
I do not know what "in-home treatment" involves.. however, I am not against any additional treatment to avoid jail time as long as it doesn't severely hinder my time at work. I work a good 50-65 hours/week and my boss is pretty much my only support through all of this as she has enabled me to take off a good number of days.
I did not say "in-home" I said in-house, meaning you need to take the 60-180 day program at a treatment facility.

I cannot afford to push more time off work and most of these places I have found don't offer classes/treatment on weekends. I have all of my bills and such paid off; but, I have no extra money at this point. Retaining this lawyer to defend me will put me in the hole quite a bit and would be a waste if there's no hope in keeping me out of jail.
Going without a lawyer is the fastest way to assure that you are going to jail or prison.
Is there any hope of getting my DIP charge dropped or lowered to something like Disturbing the Peace? Will taking additional AA classes help my case any?
Frankly, I think the most realistic outcome -- if you have an attorney -- is some degree of shock time, possibly 30 or 60 days. Although a judge might believe you are serious about beating your alcoholism if you requested that time be spent in an in-patient treatment program.

You need to accept a few facts:
1. Regardless of what you say, everyone else thinks you have a drinking problem.
2. This includes the judge, who has the power to lock you up for a significant period of time.
3. Prison rape jokes and threats aside - a stupid drunk is not very high in the pecking order in prison.
4. You are going to miss work coming up. Likely you are going to lose your job.
5. Everything should be secondary to getting the help you need and handling your legal issues.

DC

Cyno

I did not say "in-home" I said in-house, meaning you need to take the 60-180 day program at a treatment facility.
[...]
Frankly, I think the most realistic outcome -- if you have an attorney -- is some degree of shock time, possibly 30 or 60 days. Although a judge might believe you are serious about beating your alcoholism if you requested that time be spent in an in-patient treatment program.
I hope that this isn't want it comes down to. I have really been trying; but, 60-180 days in a program or 30-60-90 days in jail is going to ensure that my life is ruined. Things to these sorts would literally cause me to lose my job, become homeless, and make my chances of recovery so much harder.

..not to mention, I wouldn't be able to afford this type of treatment. Work is the only thing that keeps me stable somewhat sane in this world.

Going without a lawyer is the fastest way to assure that you are going to jail or prison.
Noted. After researching, it's almost guaranteed that I'll have to shell out the money for him.

You need to accept a few facts:
1. Regardless of what you say, everyone else thinks you have a drinking problem.
2. This includes the judge, who has the power to lock you up for a significant period of time.
3. Prison rape jokes and threats aside - a stupid drunk is not very high in the pecking order in prison.
4. You are going to miss work coming up. Likely you are going to lose your job.
5. Everything should be secondary to getting the help you need and handling your legal issues.

DC
1. I accept this and it has been the case since I received my DUI. I don't drink often but there's no doubt when I do drink I get in trouble.
2. Also accepted.
3. I guess this is good to hear.. but if that's the case why would the rush be to send me there? There has to be a more rigid treatment program, that doesn't require I forfeit my job, that I could get into?
4. This is not good =( I cannot accept these facts until it has been done.. I need to keep fighting to ensure this does not happen.
5. I simply don't want to lose my job. I've worked so hard to get here.. worked through school, devoted to this place for over a year, and just received my first raise last week (which was the initial motivation for me to drink that evening). I felt on top of the world and wasn't thinking clearly. I am expecting another, full, raise by the end of this year due to my excellent performance and dedication. Second to my job/place of living, I can easily devote time to getting the help I need and handling these issues. I just fear that I can't put the stability of my financial life second to receiving treatment.

When it comes down to it, 30 days in jail would be more acceptable to me than 60 days of in-house treatment.. unless I am able to work remotely with my own computer setup during that 60 days.

Last edited:

Cyno

A lawyer in the same state via another form mentioned I may be able to request weekend jail sentencing or full weekend treatments since I hold a full-time job.

TigerD

A lawyer in the same state via another form mentioned I may be able to request weekend jail sentencing or full weekend treatments since I hold a full-time job.
That is possible in many places. It depends on the rules and the judge. Your odds are better with an attorney who knows what to say to seek that result.

DC

Cyno

Lol.

This is definitely one of the worst, and most pathetic, online communities I've come across. Read through a lot of people's posts and the majority of responses are like the poster's above.

I appreciate those of you who did help. My lawyer contacted me this morning and I have a meeting scheduled.

Just Blue

Lol.

This is definitely one of the worst, and most pathetic, online communities I've come across. Read through a lot of people's posts and the majority of responses are like the poster's above.

I appreciate those of you who did help. My lawyer contacted me this morning and I have a meeting scheduled.
"lol"..Cyno feel free to pay for an attorney advice.
Rude Child.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">